The garden takes shape
Richard Robartes designed the double avenue that climbs through the parkland to the house tucked into the wooded ridge behind. Planted with sycamore trees, this imposing stretch was intended to provide a grand approach to the house for important visitors.
The Lanhydrock Atlas of 1694 shows that the area where the broad path and magnolia glade are now located was once a kitchen garden.
The 1695 Lanhydrock Atlas shows a bowling green in the area where the parterre now stands. The same publication depicts the north garden, beyond the tennis court, as a wilderness garden. This was an area interlaced with gravel paths in the form of a Union Jack between small shrubs and trees. Family members and guests could escape the busy house for a quiet stroll and to take in the fresh Cornish air.
The wilderness garden extended north to where, today, the National Trust reception building is situated.