Sustainable travel in Gloucestershire and the Cotswolds
Whether you’re looking to travel by train, bus, bike or foot. Plan your day out in Gloucestershire and the Cotswolds using greener travel options.
Travel by bus
- Bibury - There are various services that reach Bibury. The Ebley Coaches numbers 860 and 863 from Cirencester to Aldsworth, Pulman Coaches number 865 from Cirencester to Southrop and Ebley Coaches number 866 from Cirencester to Southrop.
- Dover's Hill - Stagecoach bus services 1 or 2A travel to Chipping Campden from Stratford-upon-Avon, it’s then a mile walk to Dovers Hill.
- Newark Park - Take the Bristol to Thornbury service, connecting Thornbury to Dursley, alight at Wotton-under-Edge, Newark Park is a 1 3/4 mile walk. Please note the walk from the bus stop is up a steep road, with no footpath.
- Snowshill Manor and Garden - The nearest bus stop is in Broadway, at the end of Church Street, and is a 2 ½ miles energetic walk. Take the Castleways service number 606 from Cheltenham and Willersey and the Johnson’s service number 21 from Stratford-on-Avon and Moreton-in-Marsh to Broadway.
Nearby railway stations
- Hidcote - Honeybourme is the closest station (4 1/2 miles). It is worth noting you will need to book a taxi in advance, as the station does not have a dedicated taxi rank.
- Minchinhampton and Rodborough Commons - Stroud is the closest station (1 mile from Rodborough), from there Rodborough Common is walkable on quiet lanes and footpaths, with some steep climbs.
The National Cycle Network (NCN) is a UK-wide network of signed paths and routes, ideal if you’re looking to reach places by bike.
- Bibury - Is close to NCN48 (Fosse 2).
- Chedworth Roman Villa - NCN48 passes through Northleach, which is 4.8 miles from Chedworth Roman Villa. There is space to park several bikes near the Café and Visitor Reception.
- Dover's Hill - Is close to NCN48.
- Hidcote - NCN5 is within 1 1/4 mile.
- Minchinhampton and Rodborough Commons - NCN45 travels through the valley alongside the A46 and Nailsworth stream to the west of the Commons. It's worth noting that it is a challenging 1 mile uphill ride on minor roads to reach the top.
- Snowshill Manor and Garden - There are lots of hilly routes that lead to Snowshill Manor (all with glorious views), with bike racks available at Visitor Reception.
- Woodchester Park - Is close to NCN45, its 3 miles along relatively quiet roads from the cycle route to the entrance.
Arriving by foot
- Chedworth Roman Villa - On the Monarch’s Way. There are lots of circular walks and footpaths leading to Chedworth Roman Villa. (See Ordinance survey Cotswolds Explorer Map OL45.)
- Crickley Hill - The Cotswold Way crosses over Crickley Hill
- Dover's Hill - The Cotswold Way begins about 1 mile away in Chipping Campden
- Haresfield Beacon and Standish Wood - The Cotswold Way crosses the entire estate.
- Hidcote - Is 1 1/2miles from Mickleton via a steep uphill footpath.
- Minchinhampton and Rodborough Commons - Walk uphill to Rodborough Common from Stroud train station via quiet lanes and footpaths with some steep climbs. Easy access to Minchinhampton Common from Minchinhampton and Nailsworth, again uphill via pathways and minor roads. Several tracks link the two commons together.
- Newark Park - The Cotswold Way passes Newark Park.
- Snowshill Manor and Garden - The Cotswold Way passes Snowshill Manor, 3/4 mile down the hill.
- Westbury Court Garden - The River Severn footpath runs from garden to river.
- Woodchester Park - The Cotswold Way crosses over Coaley Peak, and over the road from Woodchester Park (within 1/2 mile).