Walter Jones, the first owner of Chastleton House
The land and the previous house that stood here had been owned by Robert Catesby, leader of the Gunpowder Plot. Walter Jones purchased the property in 1602, but didn’t take full ownership until May 1606. The following year, construction started on a new building and by 1612 it was complete.
Walter's family, originally from Wales, had been in the wool trade, but Walter trained as a lawyer, served as a Town Clerk in Worcester and as a Member of Parliament. In buying Chastleton, Walter became a landowner, marking his move into the lowest level of the aristocracy.