Since opening as a National Trust property in 2017 visitor numbers have grown rapidly, reaching over 250,000 in 2023. We anticipate these numbers will continue to grow as we continue programmes of conservation work and open up more areas of the estate for visitors to explore and enjoy.
Shaping Shugborough for the future
Over the next few years, we plan to relocate the entrance, car park and Visitor Welcome to the eastern side of the estate, to conserve, protect and open up more access to Shugborough, for everyone, for ever.
- Remove vehicles and parking from one of the most historically significant parts of the parkland.
- Improve vehicle access and parking through reopening the Lichfield Gates entrance and relocating the car park to a less historically significant part of the estate.
- Open up more access to Shugborough through reinstating historic paths and routes.
- Improve visitor experience with a new Visitor Welcome point, new play area and opening up more of the Walled Garden.
- Increase grassland, urban, and woodland and forest habitats on the estate resulting in an improved natural environment (through measuring Biodiversity Net Gain).
Find out more
From early 2023 look out for information on your next visit to Shugborough, or speak to a member of the team if you have any questions or would like to know more. You can also keep up to date on the project timeline at the bottom of this article.