Railway Museum at Penrhyn Castle
Penrhyn Castle's Railway Museum is dedicated to industrial locomotives, some of which were once used in the Penrhyn slate quarry of nearby Bethesda. The museum is now housed in the old stable block, which was once home to around 36 of the estate's horses.
Things to see in the Railway Museum
Today you can see a wide selection of engines, carriages, rolling stock and tools on display. A film offers a good insight into the previous lives of some of the engines on display.
The Fire Queen
The Fire Queen was one of the first two engines to be used on the Padarn Railway immediately after it opened in 1849. It was replaced in the 1880s when it was then installed in a small stone shed at the quarry. She was bought by a representative of the Manifold Trust and placed on loan to the museum with a saloon coach in 1969.
Charles, a saddle tank locomotive, has close connections with Penrhyn. Charles was one of the so called 'main line' engines used at Penrhyn Quarry. Built by Hunslet Engine Co in 1882, Charles worked until the 1950s and was later restored.
Owing to the deterioration of the boiler, Charles was stored in the engine shed at Port Penrhyn from around 1958. He was placed on permanent loan to the National Trust in 1963 by courtesy of Penrhyn Quarry.
The Penrhyn quarrymen’s open coach
This is one of the coaches that ran on the main line of the quarry in Bethesda. It belonged to the Quarrymen’s Train, an institution arranged and financed by the men to move them to and from the quarry.
The train and coach made its last run on 9 February 1953 and the coach was placed on permanent loan to the Trust in 1963 by Penrhyn Quarries.
The Penrhyn saloon coach
This coach can now be seen with Charles and was built in around 1882, together with the new main line of Penrhyn Quarries Ltd and was used by Lord Penrhyn and his agent for journeys between their company headquarters at Port Penrhyn and the Quarry in Bethesda.
Penrhyn Quarry officials' car
This quite ornate looking car or cart was used to transport officials and visitors around over 50 miles of tracks that once covered the Penrhyn Quarries in Bethesda. It is thought to date from the late 19th century and could seat 6 people.
Merryweather Fire Engine
A horse-drawn fire engine, built by Merryweather of London. With no National Fire Service stately homes had to provide their own firefighting equipment and men. This fire engine has sideways-facing seats for the crew and a separate front seat for the driver.
A twin cylinder vertical steam engine is fitted behind the boiler for driving the pump that was uprated to allow water to be directed to the height of Penrhyn Castle’s Keep tower.
Hugh Napier is a Saddle Tank locomotive built by the Hunslet Engine Company Ltd in Leeds in 1904 and spent its entire working life at Penrhyn Quarry.
It has been lovingly restored by the National Trust and the Ffestiniog Railway Company, where it now resides, coming back to visit us here at the Castle on special occasions. The engine was named after the 4th Baron Penrhyn.
The castle exterior hides an opulent and lavishly decorated interior. A much-loved home to the Pennant family, learn about some of the glorious rooms you can see on your visit.
Learn more about the history of the Great Penrhyn Quarry Strike, 1900-03, the longest running industrial dispute in British history. Discover why it ripped apart a community.
Visit the Castle Café for delicious lunches and tempting cakes whilst the shop offers a range of locally sourced gifts. Browse the second-hand books for a bargain.
Penrhyn Castle is the former home of the Pennant family built on the proceeds of the North Wales slate industry and sugar plantations in Jamaica.