Sustainable travel in Wiltshire
Whether you’re looking to travel by train, bus, bike or foot. Plan your day out in Wiltshire using greener travel options.
Travel by bus
- Avebury -Bus numbers 49 and 42 serve Avebury regularly from the surrounding towns of Swindon, Devizes, Marlborough and Calne. The bus stop at Avebury is outside the Red Lion pub on both sides of the road. There is a £1 discount on entry for those who have travelled by bus to Avebury (please show a valid ticket or a bus pass when buying admission).
- Dinton Park and Philipps House - Take the Salisbury Reds bus service number 25, alight at Dinton Crossroads, it is then a 12 minute walk.
- Lacock - Take the Faresaver bus service number X34 from Chippenham to Frome. Alight at the George Inn at the bottom of the high street, it's a 5 minute walk up the high street to the abbey entrance.
- Little Clarendon - Take the Salisbury Reds bus service number 25, alight at Dinton Crossroads, it is then a 6 minute walk.
- Mompesson House - There are numerous buses that go to the city centre from the surrounding areas and from further afield. The bus stops are all within a short walk from Mompesson House.
- Stonehenge Landscape - There are regular bus links from Salisbury train station to the Stonehenge Visitor Centre (English Heritage), from where the landscape can be accessed.
- Stourhead - From Gillingham, take the South West Coaches service number 58 and alight at Zeals, which is 1¼ miles from Stourhead.
- The Courts Garden - Take the Faresaver 69 Zig Zag bus service that runs from Trowbridge to Melksham, alight at Holt (please note the service only runs Monday-Saturday).
- Westwood Manor - From Bath, catch the 94 (Trowbridge) bus service from Grand Parade to Linden Crescent, approximately 40 minutes. Walk south down Linden Crescent, turn left and then turn right at the sign for Westwood Manor, approximately 5 minutes.
Nearby railway stations
- Dinton Park and Philipps House - Tisbury is the nearest station (5miles). There are no taxi services available from this station.
- Great Chalfield Manor and Garden - Bradford-on-Avon is the nearest station (3 miles). Cycle hire is available from this station and there is a taxi office outside the front of the station.
- Lacock - Melksham (3 miles) and Chippenham (3 1/2 miles) are the closest stations. It's worth noting that there are no taxi services available at Melksham. There is a taxi rank at the Chippenham station entrance. The Faresaver bus service number X34 from Chippenham to Frome passes Melksham station and passes close to Chippenham station.
- Little Clarendon - Tisbury is the nearest station (5miles). There are no taxi services available from this station.
- Mompesson House - Salisbury station is the closest station (1/2 mile). Turn right out of the station onto Mill Road, follow the road past the park and over a bridge, turn right at the traffic lights into The Cathedral Close.
- The Courts Garden - The closest stations are Bradford-on-Avon (2 1/2 miles) and Trowbridge (3 miles).
- Westwood Manor - The closest stations are Avoncliff (1 mile) and Bradford-on-Avon. Westwood Manor is a 30 minute walk from Avoncliff station, walk up the hill (very steep road) and then more gently down the other side, follow the footpath around the walls of the Manor orchard, past the church and to the entrance.
The National Cycle Network (NCN) is a UK-wide network of signed paths and routes, ideal if you’re looking to reach places by bike.
- Avebury - Is on NCN4 and NCN45.
- Great Chalfield Manor and Garden - Is on NCN254, on the Wiltshire Cycle Way.
- Lacock - Is on NCN4. Bike racks can be found in the car park, adjacent to the Red Lion.
- Mompesson House - Is on NCN24 and NCN45.
- Stonehenge Landscape - NCN45 runs from Salisbury up the Woodford Valley to Amesbury, east of the Stonehenge Landscape, it then travels north to Marlborough and Swindon.
- Stourhead - Is on NCN25.
- The Courts Garden - NCN254 is within 1 1/4 miles.
- Westwood Manor - NCN254 is within 3/4 mile.
Arriving by foot
- Avebury - Is linked to an extensive network of Right of Ways and walking routes, including the Ridgeway National Trail.
- Great Chalfield Manor and Garden - Can be reached on a public footpath from The Courts Garden (1 mile).
- Lacock - Is surrounded by a network of footpaths, including a route beside Wiltshire and Berkshire canal.
- Mompesson House - From the city centre follow tourist signs to the Cathedral, enter the Cathedral Close through the High Street Gate and take the turning to the right in front of Choristers' Green.
- Stonehenge Landscape - Stonehenge Down is a 2 mile walk from Amesbury. There are several routes along byways and bridleways, either across Countess Farm or Coneybury Hill. Larkhill is 1 mile away across bridleways. Durrington Walls is ¾ mile from Durrington and 1½ miles from Amesbury, along small roads and bridleways. From Amesbury you can use an underpass to get under the A303 roundabout, then use the pavements along the A345 (Countess Road). Next to Woodhenge the old A345 still exists, running parallel to the current road, where you can safely walk along the grass verge near the top end of the roundabout. Alternatively the landscape can be accessed from the Stonehenge Visitor Centre (English Heritage).