Sustainable travel in Somerset
Whether you’re looking to travel by train, bus, bike or foot. Plan your day out in Somerset using greener travel options.
Travel by bus
- Barrington Court - Take the Stagecoach bus service number 632 / 3 from Ilminster to Martock, with connections on 30 from Taunton.
- Brean Down - Take bus service from Highbridge to Weston-super-Mare, alight at Brean and then walk for 1 3/4 miles.
- Cheddar Gorge - Catch the bus service number 668 from Street to Cheddar village, via Glastonbury and Wedmore. The bus stop is at the bottom of Cliff Street opposite the Riverside Inn. It’s a short walk through the main village to the start of the gorge.
- Coleridge Cottage - Poole Close and Castle Street are the closest bus stops (less than a 5 minute walk). the HPC Community Bus (for local residents) and the First Bus service number 14 both stop at these bus stops. These buses only run on weekdays.
- Dunster Castle and Watermill - There are multiple buses to Dunster Castle. Either the Buses of Somerset service number 28 from Taunton to Minehead, alight at Dunster Steep and Dunster Castle is 1/2 mile; the Exmoor Coaster westbound from Doniford to Lynmouth, the Exmoor Coaster eastbound from Lynmouth to Doniford, the Atwest bus service 198 from Dulverton to Minehead - alight at Dunster High Street Newsagents (southbound) or The Foresters Inn (westbound), or the Exmoor Bus Association service 678 from Dulverton to Minehead - alight at Dunster High Street Newsagents (southbound) or The Foresters Inn (westbound).
- Glastonbury Tor - Take the First Bus service 377 from Wells to Yeovil, alight at the bus stop in the town centre, it’s around a 20 minute walk from there to the Tor. There is a community bus service that runs from April to September from the town centre to the bottom of the Tor.
- King John's Hunting Lodge - Take the bus service that runs from Weston-super-Mare to Wells and alight at the Town Hall, just across from The Square.
- Lytes Cary Manor - Take the Wells to Yeovil or Taunton to Yeovil services (both services pass within 3/4 mile of Yeovil Pen Mill railway station), alight at Kingsdon, which is approximately 1 mile from Lytes Cary Manor.
- Mendip Hills - From Brent Knoll: First bus 102, Weston-Super-Mare (passing close to train station) to Bridgwater, alight at Brent Knoll village.
For Cheddar Gorge: First bus 126, Weston-Super-Mare (passing close to train station) to Wells, alight at Cheddar village (½ mile). Or First bus 668 Street to Bristol, alight at Tweentown, Cheddar (½ mile).
For Crook Peak and Wavering Down: First bus 126, Weston-Super-Mare (passing close to train station) to Wells, alight at Winscombe.
For Ebbor Gorge: First bus 670, Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge (passes close train station) to Wells and Wookey Hole, alight Wookey Hole village. Or First bus 126, Weston-Super-Mare (passes close train station) to Wells, alight Easton (1 mile).
- Montacute House - Yeovil bus station to South Petherton.
- Selworthy - Take the Exmoor Coaster bus service from Watchet to Lynmouth. From the bus stop it’s a ½ mile walk uphill to Selworthy village green. Please note the service ends at the end of November for the winter and resumes in early spring.
- Tintinhull Garden - Yeovil bus station to South Petherton.
Nearby railway stations
- Dunster Castle and Watermill - The nearest station is Dunster station (1 mile).
- Lytes Cary Manor - Yeovil Pen Mill is the closest station (8 miles), both the Wells to Yeovil or Taunton to Yeovil bus services pass within 3/4 mile of the station. There are no taxi services available from this station.
- Montacute House - Yeovil Pen Mill is the closest station (5 miles). It is worth noting that there are no taxi services available from this station.
- Tintinhull Garden - Yeovil Pen Mill is the closest station (5 miles). It is worth noting that there are no taxi services available from this station.
The National Cycle Network (NCN) is a UK-wide network of signed paths and routes, ideal if you’re looking to reach places by bike.
- Barrington Court - On NCN30.
- Brean Down - Is on the Brean Down Way cycle route from Weston-super-Mare.
- Coleridge Cottage - There are a number of cycle routes in and around the Quantock Hills, which pass through Nether Stowey.
- Dunster Castle and Watermill - Cycle lane from Minehead along A39.
- Glastonbury Tor - Is on NCN3.
- Mendip Hills - The Strawberry Line, part of NCN26 (from the Somerset coast to the Dorset coast), is an 8 mile traffic-free cycle path through the Mendips along a disused railway line from Yatton to Cheddar. It links Cheddar to King's Wood, near to Crook Peak and Wavering Down. NCN3 (Bristol to Land's End in Cornwall) passes within 1 mile of Ebbor Gorge and 2 miles of Cheddar Gorge. From both, quiet lanes link to the NCN. You can alight at Yatton train station and join the Strawberry Trail from there.
- Montacute House - NCN30 passes Montacute village.
Arriving by foot
- Coleridge Cottage - The Coleridge Way, a 52 mile walk from Coleridge Cottage to Lynmouth, starts/finishes at the property.
- Glastonbury Tor - Is a short walk from the town centre, eastwards along the A361.
- Mendip Hills - All the National Trust's Mendip Hills' sites are easily accessed from nearby towns and villages. Brent Knoll is a ½ mile walk on footpaths from Brent Knoll village and East Brent. Ebbor Gorge is a ½ mile walk from Wookey Hole village. Crook Peak and Wavering Down are ¾ mile walk from Winscombe and Axbridge. Cheddar Gorge is just on the edge of Cheddar village. Crook Peak, Wavering Down, Cheddar Gorge, Ebbor Gorge and King's Wood are all located on The Mendip Way, a long-distance footpath that travels through the Mendip Hills from Uphill, near Weston-Super-Mare, to Frome. Ebbor Gorge is also located near the Monarch's Way long-distance footpath, which traces Charles II's journey from Worcester to the South Coast when he escaped to France during the English Civil War
- Montacute House - Both the Leyland Trail and Monarch Trail both pass through Montacute Park.
- Selworthy - Can be accessed on footpaths from Minehead via North Hill and Selworthy Beacon (please note this route includes uneven terrain and hills).