Family fun at Hardcastle Crags
The woodland at Hardcastle Crags is a huge, natural play area for our younger visitors. From jumping over logs, to den building and exploring the woodland on a family walk, there's lots to discover on a visit.
Most of the walking trails are suitable for families of all abilities, who are used to walking the distance. Pack a picnic and head out for a family walk to enjoy Hardcastle Crags at its finest.
Lots of the routes take in Gibson Mill too, so you can pop into the Weaving Shed for a mid-walk ice cream.
You're never too old to create a secret woodland hideaway.
Just beyond the mill, there's a grassy area which has plenty of space for building dens. Pile sticks against a tree, cover it in leaves and watch the world go by.
50 things to do before you’re 11¾
Have you heard of the National Trust's 50 things to do before you're 11¾? Discover 50 nature-themed activities for the whole family to enjoy.
There's bugs to befriend, puddles to splash in and ponds to investigate so why not challenge yourself to see how many you can tick off on a visit to Hardcastle Crags?
Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
- No. 31: Make friends with a bug. See how many you can find in the woodland and make some new friends on your visit.
- No. 21: Have fun with sticks. Gather up sticks of all sizes and make a trail through the trees.
- No. 1: Get to know a tree. There's plenty to choose from at Hardcastle Crags. From tall trees to new trees, take a look at the different varieties growing in the woodland.
- No. 30. Go on a scavenger hunt: Follow the footpaths through the trees and look for treasures on the woodland floor.
- No. 25. Join nature's band. What sounds can you hear from within the trees? Listen for wildlife and sing along with the birds.
Learn about the history and evolution of the landscape at Hardcastle Crags and Gibson Mill, including its industrial heritage and the mill’s time as an entertainment emporium.
With 15 miles of footpaths, Hardcastle Crags is the perfect place to walk your dog and explore your surroundings, with helpful facilities available for your four-legged friend. Hardcastle Crags is a three pawprint rated place.
Head to the Weaving Shed Café for a choice of locally sourced treats, then pop into the second-hand bookshop to pick your next page turner.
There are lots of things to do when you visit one of our family-friendly places. Find inspiration for days out and discover a range of activities for everyone.
Plan an autumn adventure in Yorkshire this autumn, with play areas, activities for kids, autumn wildlife to spot and plenty of things to do when it rain. There's something for the whole family.