Built for a friend
Cronkhill was built for Francis Walford, a friend and agent of the 2nd Lord Berwick, who lived in the mansion at nearby Attingham Park
It was designed by John Nash, the renowned architect behind many famous landmarks such as Regent Street in London and Brighton Pavilion. Nash also designed the Picture Gallery at Attingham Park.
Walford took residency at Cronkhill in 1806. However, in a letter from 1828 Lord Berwick complained of Walford’s neglect of duty.
Their relationship seems to have turned sour and Walford eventually left both Cronkhill and the service of Lord Berwick.
Following Walford’s residency, Cronkhill was mainly occupied by members of the Berwick family. It offered a more modest home for them, with Attingham either being shut up or tenanted during this time.
Cronkhill’s most notable resident was the 5th Lord Berwick, who kept a prize-winning herd of Hereford cattle there. He also named his innovative ‘Cronkhill Rifle’ after the house.
In the 1920s, the 8th Lord and Lady Berwick returned to Attingham. The current tenant is Rupert Acton, who manages the nearby Acton Scott Estate.