Glenmona Lodge was built around 1834 and later enlarged by Michael Harrison. It is one of the ‘original’ 5 big houses in the area.
Glenmona House is best known as the home of Ronald John McNeill, Baron Cushendun.
Ronald John came to live at Glenmona in 1910 and set about transforming the village. His rebuilding of Glenmona House, however, was forced upon him when the IRA burned the house down in 1922, probably as a result of his strong Unionist sympathies.
Undaunted, he commissioned Clough Williams-Ellis to design a new house, built from the remaining shell of the original. A new wing was added to the side.
Describing it as palatial and in the most up-to-date style, the Ballymena Weekly Telegraph called the new Glenmona one of the 'show places of the district'.
The house, along with most of the McNeills' property in the village, was bought by the National Trust in 1954.
For several years the house was leased to the Health and Social Care Board and used as a nursing home. It has since, however, been taken back by the National Trust. Since then, the local community and key stakeholders have been involved in an ongoing consultation about its future.