Make festive paper chain decorations
Paper chain decorations are a great way to keep creative little hands entertained for hours in the lead up to Christmas. But don’t assume these traditional decorations are just for kids – find out how they can make an elegant addition to any tree.
A simple and elegant decoration
Paper chains were one of the most popular Christmas decorations in the 19th century. You can make them with any paper that you find around the house, such as old magazines or newspapers. But for a more sophisticated finish, why not use some old Christmas carol song sheets?
What you’ll need
- Recycled paper, magazines or old carol song sheets
- Glue or sticky tape
- Choose your paper and cut
- Cut your chosen paper into strips – you can keep cutting as you go if you need more. You don’t need to be precise with these, but you don’t want them to be too thin or short, so aim for around 5cm by 20cm.
- Make a paper loop
- Take one strip of paper and curl around so the two ends meet. Glue one end to the other and hold for several seconds until fairly dry. You can use sticky tape or a stapler to connect the ends if you prefer.
- Continue to make a chain
- Feed your next strip through the middle of your first chain link. Curl the ends of the second strip together until they meet and then fasten as before.
- Display your finished paper chain
- Repeat until you’ve reached the length of chain that you want. Then all you need to do is find somewhere to hang your finished festive paper chain.
Winter illuminations, a chance to meet Father Christmas, family trails and elaborate decorations are just some of what’s in store at the places we care for over the festive season in 2023.
Searching for the perfect Christmas presents for friends and family? Take a look at our 2023 Christmas gift guide for a selection of thoughtful and sustainable gifts that also help to take care of nature, beauty and history. Order your gifts from our online shop by 18 December to make sure everything arrives in time for Christmas.
Follow our step-by-step guide to learn how to make simple and sustainable Christmas decorations with orange slices and cloves for a natural and aromatic way to adorn your tree.
Learn how to make a pine cone mouse and other simple, sustainable Christmas decorations, using materials that you can forage when you’re out on a winter walk.
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing activity or a fun and festive way to bring the family together, follow our step-by-step guide to learn how to make a Christmas wreath.
Create a wildlife-friendly environment and encourage birds to your garden over winter and early spring by making these nourishing fat cakes.
If you’d like to see more birds in your garden, discover how you can make a simple bird feeder with just a few items and ingredients.