Access for all at Dunwich Heath
We want all our visitors to have the opportunity to get out and about on the Heath and enjoy the great outdoors. This page will help you plan your visit, but if there’s anything else we can do to help you make the most of your day, our team will be happy to help!
Where to park
- We offer free parking for blue badge holders. You’ll find four designated car parking spaces on the south side of the Coastguard Cottages. Take the first left turn as soon as you pass the building and the spaces are directly on your left.
- Our tea room and shop are on ground level. ‘The Lookout’ seating area is accessed via a flight of stairs, but there's plenty of indoor and outdoor seating if you don’t fancy the climb!
- There is an adapted toilet immediately outside the tea room entrance. Please ask one of our team if you don’t have your own Radar key.
- Guide and assistance dogs are welcome
- Hearing induction loops are available at all reception points.
Exploring the heath
Accessible walking route
Dunwich Heath is a beautiful place to enjoy a walk, however some paths take you over uneven terrain or have steps. So, we’ve created a map with two suggested routes for visitors who’d prefer a stroll over flatter terrain with regular places to rest.
Route 1 is 1.5 miles and will take about 60 minutes at a moderate pace.
Route 2 is 0.75 miles and will take around 30 minutes.
Both routes are identified by white arrows on green square signs and have benches every 100m – 200m so you can stop for a rest and enjoy the view!
You can pick up an accessible route map at our Visitor Information Centre, or download a copy here.
Borrow some wheels!
We’re delighted to have some great mobility vehicles which give everybody the opportunity to enjoy this beautiful area of heathland. You can borrow a self-driven ‘tramper’, or enjoy a chauffeured tour in one of our caddy cars.
- Mobility vehicles are available between 10.30am and 3pm on days when the site is open. You can check our opening times here.
- Vehicles must be booked in advance, please call us on 01728 648501. If nobody's available to take your call, please do leave a message and your contact number and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Chauffeured tours are by prior arrangement only since these are dependent on the availability of our volunteer drivers.