FAQs for tenants

Great Landgale in the Lake District, Cumbria

Here’s where you’ll find some helpful answers to common tenancy related questions.

Our Residential Tenant’s Handbook is a useful source of information about your shorthold residential tenancy. If you cannot find the answer below or within our Tenant’s Handbook, please get in touch with your usual Estate Management contact.

In these FAQs:


1. I would like to rent a National Trust property. Where can I find out what property is available?

If you are looking for residential National Trust rental properties that are currently available in England and Wales, please visit the National Trust pages on rightmove.co.uk. Local contact details (to arrange viewings and for any property specific enquiries) are available by downloading the brochure available for each property directly from Rightmove.

If you are looking for National Trust farms to let, these will be advertised at: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/farmstolet. Top tips on making an application for farm tenancies can be found at www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/farm-lettings

2. I would like to keep a pet at the National Trust property I rent. Who should I ask?

Please contact your usual Estate Management contact. If you are unsure who this is, you can email our central team at tenant.enquiries@nationaltrust.org.uk  

3. I have a question about my tenancy which is not answered here. Who should I ask?

If your question is regarding building repairs or maintenance, please see Question 6

If you have a query regarding your rental payments, please see Question 7, or contact our Credit Control team on 0344 809 9910. If you are unable to get through on the telephone, you can email us on rentsreceivable@nationaltrust.org.uk

If your question is about another matter, please contact your usual Estate Management contact. You can also send an email to tenant.enquiries@nationaltrust.org.uk  

4. I am unhappy with the service I have received. How do I make a complaint?

We always strive to give our tenants an excellent service, but sometimes things go wrong. When this happens, we want to put mistakes right as quickly as possible. You can find a copy of our complaints process at Tenant complaint procedure.

5. How do I get my annual Tenant Pass?

Under our Tenant Pass (Custodian Member) scheme, you will receive one ‘Tenant Pass’ and ‘Supporter Parking Permit’ per lease. This is issued to all of our qualifying Tenants in February of each year and it entitles two adults plus accompanying children to enjoy unlimited entry to hundreds of National Trust properties*.

If you have any difficulties or problems with your Tenant Pass, please contact your local Let Estate team, or email tenant.enquiries@nationaltrust.org.uk  

*Check NT website for any advance booking requirements.


6. What happens if repair works need to be undertaken to my tenanted property?

In Spring 2021 we launched a new repairs and maintenance response line for the majority of our tenanted properties (residential, commercial and agricultural). There are now three options for you to use to report repair requirements:

These services replace any existing arrangements and are available for reporting repairs 24 hours a day. However, outside the hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday the telephone line is for urgent matters only (e.g. loss of power, heating, water etc).

This telephone service is operated by a dedicated team of trained staff who have direct contact with our contractors. If there is an emergency at your property, they will instruct a suitable contractor who will endeavour to call you direct, in advance of visiting you. You should use this telephone service for urgent matters during the day so that we can prioritise your case and if needed, arrange for a contractor to visit.

If you are a Welsh speaker, our bilingual service is also available on the same number between the hours of 7am and 8pm.

If you occupy a property which is closely associated with a National Trust mansion or visitor business, you may have a different process for reporting defects. You will have been notified if this is the case.


7. What happens regarding difficulties in paying rent?

If you would like to talk about your rent payments please contact our credit control team on the number shown your invoice (0344 809 9910). If you are unable to get through on the telephone please email us on rentsreceivable@nationaltrust.org.uk  

This inbox is monitored from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday and all emails are reviewed and answered as soon as possible.

Latest statement on reopening and coronavirus (COVID-19) 

The National Trust's latest statement on reopening and coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found here: