How to make festive paper chain decorations
Paper chain decorations are a great way to keep creative little hands entertained for hours in the lead up to Christmas. But don’t assume these traditional decorations are just for kids – they can make an elegant addition to any tree.
How to make a paper chain
- Recycled paper, magazines or (for a more elegant approach) old carol song sheets
- Glue or sticky tape
- Cut your chosen paper into strips – you can keep cutting as you go if you need more. You don’t need to be precise with these, but you don’t want them to be too thin or short, so aim for around 2cm by 20cm.
- Take one strip of paper and curl around so the two length ends meet. Glue one end to the other and hold for several seconds until fairly dry. You could use sticky tape to connect the ends if you prefer.
- Feed your next strip through the middle of your first chain link. Curl the ends of the second strip together until they meet and then glue as before.
- Repeat until you’ve reached the length of chain that you want. Then all you need to do is find somewhere to hang your finished festive paper chain.
We’d love to see your sustainable and natural Christmas decoration ideas. Share them on Twitter with @nationaltrust