By the middle of the 18th-century it was more lucrative to mill grain into flour than to full cloth. Flatford Mill was converted into a flour mill and the Granary was used to store grain and flour. Until his death in 1816, Flatford Granary formed part of Golding Constable's (John Constable's father) milling estate. The Granary then passed to Golding's younger son Abram who sold it to William Bentall in 1846.
Owners 1846 - mid 19th-century
1846 - William Bentall modernised the machinery at Flatford water mill and is credited with installing the steam mill at the Granary. However, the steam mill may have been installed by Richard Barrell, a subsequent owner
1864-1878 - Richard Barrell,owned and operated the water mill and the steam mill at the Granary.
Between 1846 and 1879 a brick extension was added to the back of the Granary to accommodate a coal-fired steam engine, boiler and other machinery including at least four pairs of mill stones. Coal to drive the steam boilers was transported by sea from the north of England to Mistley Wharf. It then travelled from Mistley to Flatford by horse-drawn barges (called lighters). A tall chimney was built to take away the smoke produced by burning of coal to drive the steam engine.
1878-1892 - Walter Benneworth owned and operated both steam and water mills
1896-1901 - William Green owned and operated Flatford water mill while Arthur Benneworth owned and operated the Granary steam mill
1900 - Flatford water mill ceased working
1929 - Flatford steam mill at the Granary closed.The Granary then fell into disrepair and by the mid 1970s was derelict.
Granary owners since 1972
1972-1977 - Sidney Dale wanted to convert the mill into a luxury 20-room dwelling, a plan that did not reach fruition
1977-1979 - Joyce and Alan Baker restored the internal and external structure, converting it into a private house whilst living there with their young family
1979-1985 - Ian Wilkinson
1985-present - Derek and Marjorie Tripp opened part of the ground floor as a museum in the 1980s. The museum has since closed and the Granary offered bed and breakfast accommodation until Mr and Mrs Tripp retired in 2015.