Family-friendly things to do at Flatford
Whether it's walking on frosty paths by the River Stour, finding treasure in a geocache or the countryside around Flatford on a nature trail, there are plenty of options for families to create their own adventures and memories. Find out what's on offer and all the details you need to plan your visit.
Planning your family visit
- Baby-changing facilities are available in the main toilet block
- The walking trails cover varied terrain and may not be suitable for pushchairs
- Children’s lunchboxes are available in the tea-room.
Family-friendly events at Flatford
21 - 29 Ocotber 2023
Our trail team at Flatford have put together another of their fiendishly popular trails. As always, there will be ghoulish clues to answer and tricky spells to crack - and a devilish treat to finish.
Autumn Nature Day
Tuesday 24 October 2023
Join the fun and go wild at the Flatford Nature Day. There will be craft activities to try, trails to follow and nature clues to hunt. The event is a collaboration between the National Trust, RSPB, Dedham Vale AONB, Field Studies Council and other local organisations.
Young Artist's Workshop
Friday 27 October
Join 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' and experience this historical site in new ways. During the two hour workshop, young artists will explore the site in small groups and experiment with different approaches to drawing and painting ‘en plein air’.
Family-friendly things to do at Flatford
Explore on foot
There are plenty of walks in and around Flatford that are suitable for the whole family. The purple and orange trails are shorter, and perfect for little legs to explore. You can find these routes on the maps around the site.
For a longer stroll, why not try the circular route to Dedham, making a pitstop in our riverside tea-room for a warming hot drink?
Join the world’s largest treasure hunt and go in search of the Flatford geocaches. All you need is a smartphone and the Geocache app – search for The Flatford Mill series and you’ll find the coordinates to seek out our geocaches.
'50 things to do before you’re 11¾'
An outdoor adventure is just around the next tree, hedge or field here at Flatford. Here are some of our favourite things to try from the National Trust's '50 things' list.
- No. 1 Get to know a tree: The countryside at Flatford is home to many fascinating trees: big, small, old and new. Some have spaces big enough to get inside, while others can be climbed. Get to know a tree and see what creatures they are home to
- No. 6 Go welly wandering: A spot of rain doesn’t need to dampen your spirits. Pull on some wellies and explore the outdoors on a drizzly day. Jump in puddles and look out for the creatures than come out in the rain
- No. 8 Spot a fish: If you look carefully, all kinds of water creatures can be spotted on the shallow edges of the river. You might spot fish, water boatmen or even a newt
- No. 32 Float in a boat: In summer you can hire a boat and paddle your way along the peaceful River Stour.
There is plenty for all to enjoy on a visit to Flatford. Take a self-guided trail or join a tour and discover the locations of major paintings by John Constable.
We'll be celebrating the festive season at Flatford this year with decorations, winter treats and Christmas crafts. Enjoy a winter walk in the Suffolk countryside with your loved ones, or join one of our Christmas events. There's also a seasonal menu in our cosy tea-room and a chance to pick up the perfect stocking filler from the shop.
Treat yourself to a cuppa and a tasty treat in the Flatford tea-room and find the ideal gift for you or a loved one in the shop.
Fancy running free in the fresh air, learning new skills and trying new things? Grab your gear and start your adventure.
There are lots of things to do when you visit one of our family-friendly places. Find inspiration for days out and discover a range of activities for everyone.
Go geocaching – it's like a digital treasure hunt using a handheld GPS and a sense of fun. You can try it for free at many places we look after.