In the heart of Dedham, hidden behind a Georgian façade, is this beautiful medieval townhouse, which has links with the famous Sherman Family and the history of the village. This is an interesting Grade 1 listed house with a Georgian facade.
Sherman's Hall is situated in Dedham High Street and is a spectacular piece of architectural stage scenery.
Few of the frontages that present themselves to the street are anything like as old as the structures that lurk behind; most of them received a dramatic facelift in times of Georgian prosperity, in order to ‘modernise’ the essentially medieval fabric of the village.
There is no more striking example of this tendency than a house right at the heart of the village, opposite the parish church. This is the house variously known as Sherman’s Hall, Sherman’s House or just plain Sherman’s.
It is worth saying a little about the Sherman family, who built the house and who have had a remarkable influence well beyond Dedham, in the New World. The first known Sherman to settle in Dedham was Henry S. Sherman, who arrived in 1532 and established a successful cloth business. This was one of many such businesses established on the back of the wool trade, which had made this one of the wealthiest parts of the country. His sons Edmund and Henry were amongst the first governors of the Grammar School in Dedham, which was founded in 1571, and Edmund also founded the English or Writing School at Sherman’s.
(Dedham Vale Society)