Learning at Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal
Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden is the perfect learning destination from which to inspire, explore and create. With curriculum linked Key Stage 1 -5 tailored learning programmes, the team bring education to life with a wide variety of learning experiences and activities for students of all ages.
Book onto a led activity or workshop with our Learning team. You can also book self-led school, college or university visits – there’s something to suit and support many different learning programmes. We hope you will join our ever growing list of teachers and lecturers who visit us every year as part of their curriculum delivery.
Please be aware that booking is essential even with an Educational Group Membership. For more information on the EGM please see below.
Why come to learn at Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal?
Discover a tale of many parts at this unique UNESCO World Heritage Site. Get stuck into history, science and art around the extensive grounds with our knowledgeable and passionate team who bring to life the wide varieties of learning experiences for students of all ages.
Destroyed by the Dissolution, the atmospheric ruins that remain are a window into a medieval way of life in which devout monks searched desperately for a simpler existence. They found it in a desolate North Yorkshire Valley along the banks of the river Skell. The subsequent rich but turbulent history is sure to captivate curious minds of all ages.
When the socially ambitious John Aislabie inherited Studley Royal, he set about creating an elegant water garden of mirror-like ponds, statues and follies, incorporating the romantic ruins into his design.
Green lawns sprawl around moon ponds, whimsical buildings called follies add fun to the garden and surprise views pop up around every corner. Explore the deer park with its ancient trees, spot the butterflies fluttering through the herb garden in summer and spot all sorts of birds splashing on Studley Lake. The estate is a wonderful place to search for and learn about wildlife in historical and artistic settings.
If you're planning on coming with your school you can take out an Educational Group Membership. Scroll drown this page to find out more about it and how to get it or give us a call to discuss the benefits of taking this membership out.
Self led activities
- KS1 Tree trail (PDF / 1.296875MB) download
- KS2 Tree trail (PDF / 1.4638671875MB) download
- Year 1 Maths trail (PDF / 0.193359375MB) download
- Year 2 Maths trail (PDF / 0.2021484375MB) download
- Year 3-4 Maths discovery trail (PDF / 0.5712890625MB) download
- Year 5-6 Maths discovery trail (PDF / 0.568359375MB) download
Suitable learning for both
- Self led learning plan (PDF / 0.0498046875MB) download
- Historical Hunt at Fountains Abbey (PDF / 1.4716796875MB) download
- Fun at Fountains (PDF / 0.75390625MB) download
- Fountains Abbey timeline (PDF / 1.2822265625MB) download
- Fountains Hall trail (pupils) (PDF / 0.01171875MB) download
- Fountains Hall trail (teachers) (PDF / 0.0126953125MB) download
- Fountains Mill (PDF / 0.0908203125MB) download
- Bird spotter worksheet (PDF / 0.7841796875MB) download
- Deer spotter worksheet (PDF / 0.728515625MB) download
- Tree spotter worksheet (PDF / 0.751953125MB) download
- Pond life spotter sheet (PDF / 0.3759765625MB) download
- Bugs spotter sheet (PDF / 0.412109375MB) download
Our Learning Officer Janet runs our education programme, assisted by a brilliant team of friendly and knowledgeable volunteers.
You can contact Janet on 01765 643196 or send her an email.
Feel good about your visit
As well as bringing your educational group to a unique site to learn in a fun and different way to the classroom we want you to know that every visit you make with your school contributes to the conservation work we do to look after this special place. Thank-you.