A muffin full of flavour
Recipe Courtesy of Penny Wearing (Bake and Share Event 2013)
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 100g plain flour
- 125g butter, softened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g ground almonds
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 150ml milk
- 12 tsp seedless raspberry jam
- 150g icing sugar
- 6 glace cherries – halved
- handful of toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Grease 12-hole muffin tin.
- Put flours, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add softened butter and cut in with a fork until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar and ground almonds.
- Beat egg in a jug, add milk and almond essence and stir.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir quickly with a fork just enough to combine. Don’t worry if mixture looks a bit lumpy and streaky with flour – it’s better not to over-mix.
- Divide half the batter between 12 muffin cases, then place a teaspoonful of jam in centre of each case.
- Top with remaining mixture.
- Bake for 20–25 mins until pale golden and tops feel firm.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Add enough water to icing sugar to make a thick paste, then spoon onto top of muffins.
- Place half a glacé cherry on each and scatter toasted almonds to finish.