Family-friendly things to do at Houghton Mill
- 02 September 2023
Whether you want to explore the historic watermill, cycle off on a scenic bike ride or take a boat trip along the river, Houghton Mill has lots of family-friendly activities to keep all ages happy.
Planning your family visit
Here's the information you need at a glance to make the most of your family day out at Houghton Mill:
- Baby-changing facilities are available in the mill and tea-room
- Due to the historic nature of the building, the mill has uneven floors and several staircases which are not suitable for pushchairs
- Young children should be supervised at all times in the mill and on the riverside
- Please don't paddle or swim close to the mill or sluice gates
- Drinks, snacks and ice creams are available from the tea-room.
Visit the Mill
The whole family can experience the sights, sounds and smells of an 18th-century water mill by exploring three floors of exhibits and interactive activities. You can even buy a bag of Houghton Mill flour to take home with you and bake some delicious treats.
Family friendly things to do at Houghton Mill
Go on an adventure on and around the river
Exploring the River Great Ouse by canoe is great fun for the whole family. You can bring your own boat or hire a canoe, rowing boat or punt next to the mill from Houghton Boats. Please call 07759 316260 for more information.
Walking routes and bike trails
There are several walking routes along the river, through woods and across meadows from the far side of the mill pond. There are also shorter bike trails for little legs or longer routes to the Hemingfords and St Ives for the more adventurous.
Pitch up a tent
Make your next family holiday an outdoor adventure and arrange a stay at the Waterclose Meadows Campsite. Situated next to Houghton Mill, the idyllic campsite is in a peaceful location with beautiful views over the Ouse Valley.
'50 things to do before you're 11¾'
With the campsite and river close by, Houghton Mill is a great place to see how many '50 things to do before you're 11¾ ' you can you tick off your list. Here’s a few ideas to get you started:
- No. 4 Build a den: You’ll find plenty of sticks and flat open space to build a den. Once you’ve constructed it, crawl inside and see what you can spot from your secret hiding place
- No. 12 Have fun with sticks : Race Pooh sticks on one of the many little streams found in the meadows. Pooh sticks can be any shape or size, so long as they float
- No. 32 Float in a boat: Climb aboard a canoe or rowing boat and get up close to the wildlife along the River Great Ouse. Floating in a boat can be as slow and dreamy or as fast and exhilarating an experience as you make it. Or it could even be both.
Visit the tea-room at Houghton Mill for a range of hot and cold drinks, hot and cold snacks and light meals.
Discover the 18th-century building at Houghton Mill, from Victorian machinery to freshly ground flour that you can buy to use at home.
Find out how you can get active on your visit to Houghton Mill and Waterclose Meadows with a range of walking and cycling trails as well as scenic canoeing routes close by.
There are lots of things to do when you visit one of our family-friendly places. Find inspiration for days out and discover a range of activities for everyone.
Fancy running free in the fresh air, learning new skills and trying new things? Grab your gear and start your adventure.