Potto Brown's very best soda bread
Best served with a good slab of cheddar and some tasty chutney
- 450g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 25g diced butter
- 300 ml buttermilk
- a splash of milk
- a few twists of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/392°F/Gas 6.
- Mix the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and black pepper in a bowl.
- Using your hands, gently rub in teh butter before slowly adding the buttermilk and milk to make a soft dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on a board and knead for 1-2 minutes.
- Shape into a 20cm ball and place onto a floured baking sheet and slash across the top.
- Place into the oven for 30-35 minutes or until it is slightly browned and well risen.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.