Volunteer at Houghton Mill
If you are looking for a new challenge, why not join our friendly team of volunteers at Houghton Mill?
There is no minimum time commitment and you could be sharing the history of the Mill with visitors, baking cakes for the tea room or even learning to become one of our next millers, without whom we wouldn’t be able to mill our Houghton Mill flour!
For friendly talkers
If you love meeting new people, sharing your passion and working in a team, one of these roles may be for you:
- Room guide - if only these walls could talk! Our volunteer room guides are passionate about history, stories and love making people feel at home. Click here for more.
- Milling volunteer – millers bring the milling process to life for visitors and don’t mind getting their hands a little floury! With some training you could also learn to operate the machinery and keep the historic mill working. Click here for more.
- Campsite welcome volunteer – help us to welcome our guests, make the most of their stay and even brighten up a rainy day! Click here for more.
- Visitor welcome, reception or membership volunteer – join a team of multi-tasking superstars in the Mill to provide a warm welcome, help visitors get the most out of their visit and share the benefits of a National Trust membership. Click here for more.
For outdoor lovers
If you love being outdoors in nature, have green fingers or a knack for fixing things we would love to talk to you about campsite and outdoor roles:
- Volunteer ranger - this hands-on role is perfect for someone with a passion for wildlife conservation or gardening. Rangers help to look after the green spaces around the campsite by cutting the grass, picking up litter and finding new ways to care for our special place. Click here for more.
- Volunteer grounds person – help us with our outdoor conservation tasks such as maintaining paths, fences and shrubs, creating wildflower beds and keeping the visitor areas are well presented and tidy. Click here for more.
- Outdoor visitor welcome - visitors look for a friendly face as they arrive and our outdoor visitor welcome team is the first to greet them. Click here for more.
For creative crafters and brilliant bakers
We’d love you to share your crafting and baking skills with our visitors:
- Events volunteer – you could be helping children make bird feeders out of scavenged materials, getting your hands sticky in salt dough, taking groups around the Mill or trying something new! Click here for more.
- Volunteer baker - help produce the wonderful scones and cakes that our visitors love so much. Click here for more.
For great gifters and helpful hosts
Volunteering in our tea room as a refreshment host or in the gift shop as a retail volunteer are fantastic ways to meet new people, be part of a friendly team and help generate funds to keep Houghton Mill running for future generations to enjoy.
To find out more about volunteering at Houghton Mill please visit our volunteering portal here or contact visitor experience manager Steve Bellis on firstname.lastname@example.org / 01480 301494. Or pop in to the Mill office to pick up an application form and have a chat!