Autumn family activities at Hughenden
Join us at Hughenden this autumn and enjoy getting closer to nature. Set off exploring the gardens, take on our nature trail, build a den in the woods or discover the secret stories of the manor house. At family friendly Hughenden have a full day of fun in the beautiful Chilterns countryside.
Autumn all around
The gardens are full of autumn colour to soak up and wildlife to spot, from red kites soaring high in the sky to mini beasts scurrying through the soil below. In the woodlands, towering trees of all shapes and sizes are there to explore and fallen leaves waiting for you to rustle through. Wrap up for the weather, and you’re set for a fantastic day outdoors surrounded by dramatic countryside amid the sweeping landscapes of the Chiltern hills.
Explore the hidden world of the fascinating fungi kingdom this autumn half term at Hughenden. Find out about the dark and decaying side of nature; the brazen and beautiful, striking and stinking of the mushroom world!
£1 per child. Normal admission applies. From Sat 16 Oct until Sun 7 Nov. Collect your activity sheet from the Visitor Welcome Kiosk. Suitable for 6-10 years.
If you're after family fun at home, here are some ideas to help you make the most of this colourful season. We've a leaf pile of fun activities for all the family: discover things to do, games to play and recipes to bake in our downloadable activity sheets.
The apple orchard has benches for picnics, there are green lawns on the parterre or wide open spaces in the pleasure grounds where you can put down a blanket on a dry day under the tree canopy. Bring a hamper or pick up supplies from the café and then take your pick; in amongst the garden and trees or enjoying the sweeping views over the Hughenden valley?
Our woodland play area has been carved from giant fallen trees with rope walkways, wood stepping stones and hideaways to explore, suitable for under 10s.
With the shelter of the tall trees, the grounds at Hughenden are an ideal place to play in any weather. There are walks and hikes through the woodlands to discover with four waymarked paths which range from 1 mile to 4 miles long.
50 awesome adventures
Hughenden offers lots of opportunities to experience things from the ‘50 things’ ideas list. You can pick up a free booklet full of inspiration at the Visitor Welcome kiosk.
Four-legged family friends
We love dogs at Hughenden and they’re welcome in the grounds on a lead and in the parkland and woods under close control. You can walk around the gardens, picnic in the orchard, enjoy the parkland, visit the Stableyard café and more.
Tips for families
- Hughenden is on the top of a hill so some paths are steep and in the woodland they can be uneven in places. It’s all fine with a sturdy buggy; those with younger children may find a baby carrier useful.
- Baby-changing facilities are available in the disabled toilet in the Stableyard.
- Hip carriers are available to borrow free of charge for the house, you can park your buggy in our covered entrance.
- There are plenty of open spaces at Hughenden for running around in and under 5s are welcome to bring scooters and small bikes.
- The shop has a range of children’s books, toys and gifts as well as pocket money items for all ages.
- Our café serves light snacks, tea-time treats and ice-cream all year round to fuel your adventures.
If it rains there’s plenty of shelter in the woods under the tree canopies, so rain doesn’t necessarily stop play, and you can explore the house or take time out in the stableyard cafe.