Fun for families at Hughenden
Please note, due to lockdown restrictions, some elements are currently closed. Please check with the welcome team when you arrive for details of what's open.
Family friendly Hughenden offers lots of opportunities for a full day of fun in the beautiful Chilterns countryside.
Set off exploring the gardens, build a den in the woods, take on a bug hunt in the walled garden or discover the secret dressing up room in the manor house. Add in a picnic in the orchard and you’re set for a fantastic day out in the fresh air.
With the shelter of the tall trees, the grounds at Hughenden are an ideal place to play in any weather. There are walks and hikes through the woodlands to discover with four waymarked paths which range from 1 mile to 4 miles long. Download our walks guide here to explore the hills and woods of the Hughenden estate.
Our new woodland play area has been carved from giant fallen trees with rope walkways, wood stepping stones and hideaways to explore. Just one family at a time during Covid restrictions, and please stay for 20 mins max to allow everyone a chance to play.
During the school holidays we offer special outdoor trails and activities. Please make sure to book tickets in advance as these are very busy times. Tickets go live every Friday for the following week.
Our apple orchard has benches for picnics and there are wide open spaces in our pleasure grounds where you can put down a blanket under the shade of the trees. Bring your own hamper or pick up supplies from the café and then take your pick; in amongst the apple trees or enjoying the view over the Hughenden valley?
Hughenden offers lots of opportunities to experience things from the ‘50 things’ ideas list. You can pick up a free booklet full of inspiration at the Visitor Welcome kiosk.
Four-legged friends welcome
We love dogs at Hughenden and they’re welcome in the grounds on a lead and in the parkland and woods under close control.
You can walk around the Manor gardens, picnic in the orchard, enjoy the parkland and visit the Stableyard café. The only place we can’t allow dogs is inside the Manor, assistance dogs only there. We’ve got water bowls for you to use in the stableyard and there’s usually a doggy treat or two on offer from our welcome team.
There are cattle grazing in the fields all year round so please keep your dog on a short lead when you're there. To make sure everyone has an enjoyable day please follow our Canine Code and scoop the poop, bag it and bin it.
Tips for families
- Hughenden is on the top of a hill so some paths are steep and in the woodland they can be uneven in places. It’s all fine with a sturdy buggy; those with younger children may find a baby carrier useful.
- Baby-changing facilities are available in the disabled toilet in the Stableyard.
- [Hip carriers are available to borrow free of charge for the house, you can park your buggy in our covered entrance.]
- There are plenty of open spaces at Hughenden for running around in and under 5s are welcome to bring scooters and small bikes.
- [The shop has a range of children’s books, toys and gifts as well as pocket money items for all ages.]
- Our café serves light snacks, tea-time treats and ice-cream all year round to fuel your adventures. [Hot meals are available from 11am-3pm, including children’s options, along with children’s lunchboxes.]
If it rains there’s plenty of shelter in the woods under the tree canopies, so rain doesn’t necessarily stop play, and you can explore the house or take time out in the stableyard cafe.