Fun for families at Hughenden
Family friendly Hughenden offers lots of opportunities for the young (and young at heart) to have a full day of fun in the beautiful Chilterns countryside.
You can set off exploring the gardens, build a den in the woods, take on a bug hunt in the walled garden or discover the secret playroom in the manor house. Add in a picnic in the orchard and you’re set for a fantastic day out.
Our woodland playground is under the shelter of tall trees so it's an ideal place in any weather to build a den, climb trees and play on the wooden sculptures and obstacle trail. There are walks and hikes through the woodlands to discover with four waymarked paths which range from 1 mile to 4 miles long. Download our walks guide here to explore the hills and woods of the Hughenden estate.
Hughenden offers lots of opportunities to experience things from the ‘50 things’ ideas list. You can pick up a free booklet full of inspiration at the Visitor Welcome kiosk.
Fun in the walled garden
Young gardeners can explore the child-friendly walled garden. It’s a great place to discover where food comes from and see seasonal fruit and vegetables growing through the year.
Discover the secret playroom in the Manor house where you can dress up in Victorian costumes and take on the house eye spy spotter trail to find the treasures of Hughenden. In our Second World War rooms you can see the hand-drawn maps from the 1940s and visit the ice house photographic studio. Please note, to limit the spread of the coronavirus, the dressing up playroom is currently closed.
Our apple orchard has benches for picnics and there are wide open spaces in our pleasure grounds where you can put down a blanket under the shade of the trees. Either bring your own hamper or pick up supplies from the Café and then take your pick; in amongst the apple trees or enjoying the view over the Hughenden valley?
During the school holidays we offer outdoor activities with trail hunts and for the more adventurous, you can discover the wildlife of Hughenden with our rangers. Take a look at the What’s On events page to see what's coming up and for event prices.
Tips for families
- Hughenden is on the top of a hill so some paths are steep and in the woodland they can be uneven in places. It’s all fine with a sturdy buggy; those with younger children may find a baby carrier useful.
- Baby-changing facilities are available in the disabled toilet in the Stableyard.
- Hip carriers are available to borrow free of charge for the Manor house, you can park your buggy in our covered entrance.
- There are plenty of open spaces at Hughenden for running around in and under 5s are welcome to bring scooters and small bikes.
- The Shop has a range of children’s books, toys and gifts as well as pocket money items for all ages.
- Our Café serves light snacks, tea-time treats and ice-cream all year round to fuel your adventures. Hot meals are available from 11.30am-3pm, including children’s options, along with children’s lunchboxes.
If it rains there’s plenty of shelter in the woods under the tree canopies, so rain doesn’t necessarily stop play, and you can explore the Manor house or take time out in the Stableyard Cafe.