Explore outdoors this season
Explore outdoors this season and be rewarded with quiet landscapes and fresh air to leave you feeling inspired and energised.
- First visit? Why not pick up a £1 walk postcard from the shop at Ilam Park and go on a walk in the local area, with easy to follow directions and a pocket sized weatherproof map.
- Enjoy walking with others? Join us on a Monday or Friday morning for a free walk in the limestone hills. A team of friendly volunteers will take you on a 2hr or 3hr walk, starting at 11:00am in the stableyard at Ilam Park. Dogs on leads are welcome to join in too.
- Pick up a free winter wildife spotting sheet and see how many things you can spot on your walk in Ilam Park - ideal for families with young children. Available from the shop and visitor centre daily.
- Warm up and relax in the Manifold Tea-room at Ilam Park after your winter walk. Open daily, serving a range of warming lunches, cakes and drinks.
- Explore Dovedale valley, a special place for wildlife and a popular spot for walkers all year round. Look out for the limestone pinnacles and caves along the 3 mile route between the famous stepping stones and Milldale.
Many visitors choose to start walking from Ilam Park, across the fields to Dovedale, then along the riverside to Milldale. View the suggested route here.
- There is a permanent orienteering course in Ilam Park, ideal for families, school groups and friends who enjoy exploring at a faster pace. Map available to buy from the shop for £1.50. The course includes steps, uneven slopes and passes through livestock. Dogs are welcome to join in but must be kept on a lead.
- Fancy staying a little longer? There is a cosy bunkhouse in the stableblock at Ilam Park, as well as a large family friendly YHA Youth Hostel in Ilam Hall.