“New Worke “began life as a hunting lodge in the mid 1500’s. It was built by the courtier, Sir Nicholas Poyntz, using medieval stones from a nearby dissolved abbey. This was never his family home but he used it as an impressive place for lavish entertaining.
Expansion and remodelling
Over the next 400 years, the house was expanded and remodelled a number of times. A succession of families made their home in what is now Newark Park. The most significant building phase was undertaken in the 1790s by the Reverend Lewis Clutterbuck using the architect, James Wyatt.
The Clutterbuck family continued to own Newark Park – although for 50 years it was leased to the King Family. Three generations later, Catherine Annie Power-Clutterbuck left the estate to the National Trust in 1949
By 1970, the estate was in need of some restoration. An American architect, Bob Parsons, leased it from the National Trust and spent almost 30 years taming the grounds and returning the house to a home. Once again, it became a place known for its hospitality.