Alexander Peckover, Baron Peckover of Wisbech, 1830 - 1919
Alexander Peckover led and extremely rich and rewarding life.
In 1907 Alexander was elevated to the peerage in recognition of services to the County of Cambridgeshire as Lord Lieutenant from 1893 - 1906.
The title Lord Lieutenant is given to the British monarch's personal representative in a county with varying tasks.
Baron Peckover of Wisbech was the first member of the Society of Friends (Quakers) to become ennobled and this event caused much excitment in the town of Wisbech, as can be seen in some of the images above which were taken at the time, and are a reflection of the esteem Alexander was held.
Alexander previously, in 1905, had conferred on him by the University of Cambridge the honoury degree of Doctor of Law (LL.D.).
Alexander's library at Bank House (now called Peckover House) was renowned for its valuable collection of early bibles, atlases and early printed books - one of which is still housed in the Library today - the Catechesis.
He was a keen chess enthusiast, travelled widely in Eurpoe and the Middle East, was a keen horticulturalist and botanist and a great walker.