When it was opened to visitors for the first time in 1949 by the Wisbech Society, only the main ground floor rooms - the Dining Room, Drawing Room, Staircase Hall, Morning Room and Library - were shown.
Known as 'The Peckover Rooms', they were run as a sort of cultural centre for Wisbech, with meetings, concerts and lectures held in the Library.
The furnishing of these rooms, stripped of their contents, became a pressing problem for Mrs Munday, Hon. Secretary of the Wisbech Society, and the ensuing years saw her attending auctions and visiting National Trust furniture stores in search of suitable items.
Known to close friends as 'Georgian Doris', Mrs Munday favoured 18th-century pieces and her taste has strongly influenced the presentation of the house for the last 60 years.
More recently, these Georgianising campaigns have been re-evaluated, and a desire to make the house more representative of the Peckover family's taste has predominated.
Significant loans and gifts of indigenous items from members of the Penrose family and others, and the redecoration of a number of rooms in their pre-1948 livery, have gone some way to making the story of the extremely wealthy, learned, philanthropic and deeply religious Peckover family more explicit.