Spiced toffee apple cake recipe
Make the most of the harvest with this perfect combination of zingy apple tanginess cut through with a sticky toffee sauce. Local cream, butter and eggs are easy to find and will give your cake the ultimate velvety richness.
- 200g pitted dates
- 200ml milk
- ½ lemon
- 2 Bramley apples
- 250g butter or margarine
- 280g self-raising flour
- 200g light soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 5 medium free range eggs
- 10g ground mixed spice
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 10g icing sugar
- For the toffee sauce:
- 50g light soft brown sugar
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp double cream
- Preheat your oven to 180C (160C fan, 350°F, gas mark 4). Grease and line a 23cm (9”) spring form tin.
- Put the dates into a saucepan with the milk, place on a medium heat and bring to
the boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer and cook for 2–3 minutes until the dates are soft, then remove from the heat.
- Use a blender or processor to blend the dates and milk until smooth, then set aside.
- Juice half a lemon, then put the juice in a bowl. Peel and quarter the apples, remove the core, then finely slice. Put the apple slices in the bowl with the lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Place the butter or margarine, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, eggs, mixed spice and vanilla extract into a bowl.
- Add the pureed date mixture, and then beat until light and fluffy.
- Pour the mixture into your cake tin. Arrange the apple slices on top, neatly overlapping.
- Put the cake in the oven and cook for 60–70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Dust the cooled cake with icing sugar.
- Place the toffee sauce ingredients in a pan over a medium heat. Once melted, increase the heat and boil for around a minute, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Drizzle the sauce over the cake, allowing some to run down the sides.
- Leave until cool and then cut into portions.
Looking for more inspiration?
We love food and we've got some great recipes to prove it. Take a look through all of our recipes for some culinary inspiration.