Wet Nelly is a local Liverpool favourite. It's a moist version of Nelson Cake, a Lancashire fruit cake, hence the name Wet Nelly. Our delicious version has been a firm favourite for many years.
- Loaf of white bread (day-old bread is fine)
- 100g butter
- 140g brown sugar
- 3/4 litre warm milk
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 3 medium eggs
- 500g mixed fruit
- Cut the crusts off the bread and slice into chunky squares. Soak bread in milk for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When fully soaked, add all other ingredients, mix together well and pour into a greased deep-sided roasting tin.
- Bake at 180°C / 160°C (fan) / Gas Mark 4 for approximately 1 – 1 ¼ hours until soft but springy to touch.
- Delicious served hot with custard or cold with a cup of tea