Wet Nelly is a local Liverpool favourite. It was a moist version of Nelson Cake, a Lancashire fruit cake, hence the name Wet Nelly! Our delicious version has been a firm favourite for many years.
- Loaf of white bread (day-old-becoming-dry is perfectly fine for this recipe) with crusts cut off and cut into chunky squares
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 140g (5oz) brown sugar
- 3/4 litre warm milk
- 500g (18oz) mixed fruit
- 1 dessertspoon mixed spice
- 3 medium eggs
- Soak bread in milk for at least 4 hours and preferably overnight.
- When fully soaked, add all other ingredients, mix together well and pour into a greased deep-sided roasting tin.
- Bake at 180°C/Gas Mark 4 for approx 1 – 1 ¼ hours until soft but springy to touch.
- Delicious served hot with custard or cold with a cup of tea.