Opening times for 29 February 2024
Asset Opening time Castle ClosedMTWTFSS2930311234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829123
Assistance dogs only
There is one toilet at the castle which is located on the ground floor. It is accessed by two steps up and two steps down.
Stepped access and steps throughout. Narrow doorways and limited turning space within. Seating available.
Entrance to the building is by three stone steps leading up to the front door. Access to the first floor is up 18 steps. There is a handrail on the left side of the staircase. Access to the museum room (lower room) is on the ground floor.
There are chairs without armrests available if required.
Standing proud in Dalton town centre, this impressive 14th-century tower was once the manorial courthouse of Furness Abbey.
Contemporary and rustic combine in this Grade II listed farmhouse on the Sizergh estate.
A rural hideaway in Duddon Valley, this farmhouse is a peaceful retreat amongst fells and streams.
Sitting on the western shore of Lake Windermere this first floor apartment is a cosy retreat.
This comfortable lakeside retreat on the west shore of Windermere has its own jetty directly outside the cottage.
The 14th-century tower known as Dalton Castle was formerly the manorial courthouse of Furness Abbey. Here the abbott exercised his right to hold manorial courts and administer justice within the lordship of Furness, as authorised by the abbey's foundation charter of 1127. The building would have contained not only the courtroom and one or two other rooms in which the business of the lordship was transacted, but also a gaol, guardrooms and stores.
After the dissolution of the abbey in 1537, the castle continued as a courthouse for over 300 years, owned at first by the Crown and then by the Dukes of Albermarle, the Dukes of Montagu, and finally the Dukes of Buccleuch.
Its interior has seen many alterations, the last and most radical being that of 1856 when three upper floors, accessible from a stone spiral staircase, were superseded by a single upper room and an additional stairway. Dalton Castle was given to the National Trust by the 8th Duke of Buccleuch in 1965.
Dalton Castle is supported by the Friends of Dalton Castle Society, a local supporter group of volunteers who help to fundraise to preserve the building and provide guided tours. The Friends help to open the Castle for visitors every Saturday 2-5pm from Easter to the end of September. To find out more about the Friends fundraising events and activities please search for 'Friends of Dalton Castle Society | Dalton in Furness' on Facebook.