Places you can visit in Liverpool and Lancashire without a car
Whether you’re looking to travel by train, bus, bike or foot, there are many places in Liverpool and Lancashire that you can visit without a car.
Check before you travel
Public transport services can change at short notice so please check the most up-to-date timetables with the bus/train companies before you travel.
- The Beatles’ Childhood Homes
- Access is by pre-booked minibus tours, with pick ups at Speke Hall and Liverpool South Parkway train station. For directions to Speke Hall, see section below. Liverpool South Parkway is easily accessible by train from local cities, with the journey from Liverpool city centre taking just 13 mins. Arriva’s 80 and 86A bus services and Stagecoach’s 86 service from the city centre also stop at South Parkway.Plan a visit
- Formby is on the Sefton Coastal Footpath and just 3 miles from National Cycle Route 62 (NCN62). Bike hire is available at Southport Eco Centre and Southport train station or you can take your bike for free, without pre-booking, on the Merseyrail network. Freshfield train station is approx. 1 mile from the Victoria Road entrance while Formby train station is 1.2 miles from the Lifeboat Road entrance (20-25 min walk, 5-6 min cycle).Plan your visit
- Gawthorpe Hall
- Buses from Burnley Bus station stop 1/2 mile (12 min walk) away, while Rose Grove train station (2 miles away), Burnley Barracks train station (2.5 miles away) and Burnley Manchester Road train station (3 miles away) are all a bus ride and walk or a 11-16 min cycle away. National Cycle Routes 604 and 685 are also both a short cycle away.Plan your visit
- The Hardmans' House
- The Hardmans’ House is 1/2 mile (15 min walk) from Liverpool Lime Street and Liverpool Central train stations and frequent bus services stop nearby. Follow the fingerposts to ‘59 Rodney Street’ to the visitor entrance on Pilgrim Street (at the back of Rodney Street) near the Anglican Cathedral.Plan your visit
- Rufford Old Hall
- Take a scenic walk to Rufford Old Hall along the towpath of the Leeds to Liverpool Canal. Rufford train station is 1/2 mile (13 min walk, 4 min cycle) away while Burscough Bridge train station is 3 miles away, a short bus ride or cycle away. Stagecoach’s 347 bus service between Southport and Chorley and 2A bus service between Preston and Ormskirk stop a short walk away.Plan your visit
- Speke Hall
- Buses running between Liverpool One bus station and Liverpool John Lennon airport stop about 1/2 mile away from the entrance then it’s another 1/2 mile walk to visitor reception. Liverpool South Parkway train station is 3 miles away and Hunts Cross train station is 2 miles away – you can complete the journey by bus or bike. Speke Hall is also on the Mersey Way path and National Cycle Route 62 (NCN62) passes 2.5 miles (14 min cycle) away.Plan your visit