Family Fun at Dunster Castle and Watermill
- 25 June 2023
There's plenty for everyone to see, do and enjoy at Dunster Castle and Watermill. Find out everything you need to plan your family day out, from joining us for events and activities for kids, to where to find the play areas.
Planning your family visit
- Baby changing facilities available
- Accessible toilets available
- The play area in the River Gardens is open
- Picnicking is allowed throughout the groups with a dedicated picnic area near the car park
- Buggy friendly routes around the gardens
- Hip carrying infant seats available to borrow in the house
- Children's menu available at the Watermill Tearoom
- Pocket money friendly gifts and children's books available in the Stables Shop
- Children's books available in the second hand book shop.
Family-friendly events at Dunster Castle and Watermill
We've got a summer jam packed with fun here at Dunster Castle and Watermill from 24 July to 3 September. Help Otter work out why the water wheels have stopped turning on the summer trail, get playing with the lawn games on Green Court, have a go at a Civil War pike drill on our living history days, and enjoy an accessible night of brilliant music on our Opera Evening.
Family-friendly things to do in the house at Dunster Castle
- Grab one of our family Castle Explorer trails and enjoy the castle from a new perspective, with fun activities on the way.
- Settle down on the comfy sofas and play some games, getting a real feel for what it would've been like for the Luttrell family to live at Dunster Castle in the Morning Room.
- Try on costumes and discover different time periods through history in the Hat Room.
- Get hands on in the conservation room while learning about how the house team take care of the castle and its collection.
Family-friendly things to do in the garden at Dunster Castle
- Let off some steam in the play area in the River Gardens, have a go at going the balance logs, make music with the wooden xylophone and have a game of Pooh Sticks in the river.
- Explore the history in the gardens with our Trail of Tales.
- Play with the lawn games up on Green Court, including skittles, jenga and skipping.
Family-friendly things to do in Dunster Working Watermill
- Discover how the mill works and watch our friendly millers turn the wheels.
- Watch flour being made, and even buy a bag to make your own bread at home. Milling is usually every Wednesday from 11am to about 3pm, but get in touch if you'd like to make sure.
- Get hands on and make your own flour with our model quern.
There are several places to enjoy a bite to eat and a drink during your visit to Dunster Castle and Watermill. Find out more about what each outlet has to offer.
Dunster Castle is a two pawprint rated place. From wide open parkland to formal gardens, your dog walk needn’t be boring during your visit to Dunster Castle and Watermill.
Explore 1,000 years of history at Dunster castle, from its collection of painted leather hangings – the only one of its kind in the UK – to its historic working watermill.
Discover everything you need to know about bringing your school for a visit to Dunster Castle and Watermill.