Sustainable travel in Devon
Whether you’re looking to travel by train, bus, bike or foot. Plan your day out in Devon using greener travel options.
Travel by bus
- A la Ronde - Bus services run between Exeter to Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton. The bus stops within 1/2 mile.
- Ashclyst Forest - Stagecoach Bus service number 1 runs from Exeter to Tiverton, alight at ‘Killerton Turn’, followed by walking distance of 1.5 miles towards Cullompton. The turning to Ashclyst Forest is on your right.
- Baggy Point - Regular service from Barnstaple to Croyde, then follow brown signs to Baggy Point.
- Bradley - Stagecoach Bus 7 and Country Bus 176 and 177 all stop at the Newton Abbot Bradley Road stop on both sides, near the main gated entrance. Alight here and walk down the main drive to the estate.
- Branscombe - The Axe Vale mini-travel bus 899 serves Branscombe between Sidmouth and Seaton. The bus stops in the centre of the village at the village hall.
- Buckland Abbey - Can be accessed on bus service number 55 from Yelverton Roundabout (please note the service doesn't run on Sunday). The bus stops directly outside the gates to Buckland Abbey.
- Castle Drogo - Take the Stagecoach bus service number 173 leaving from Exeter bus station (please note the service doesn't run on Sunday). The bus drops off at the bottom of Castle Drogo's drive, which is a 800 yard walk uphill to the Visitor Centre.
- Clyston Mill - Services from Exeter to Tiverton, alight at Broadclyst village, head towards the church, take the path through the church yard and follow signs to the mill.
- Compton Castle - Catch the 125 County Bus from Paignton bus station, alight at Marldon School stop. From the bus stop, it is a walk for 1 1/2 mile through narrow country lanes, which are steep in places.
- Dunsland - Take Turners Tours bus service number 639, Hatherleigh to Holsworthy or the Stagecoach bus service number 6, Holsworthy to Okehampton. Alight Holemoor Cross next to Dunsland Park main entrance. Or alight Dunsland Cross for ½ mile walk down permissive track, bringing you to the rear entrance to Dunsland Parkland.
- Finch Foundry - Services between Okehampton and Exeter or Newton Abbot. Stagecoach SW service number 6A and Country Bus service number 178. Alight at Sticklepath, Devonshire Inn. Finch Foundry is a 1 minute walk away.
- Killerton - Stagecoach Bus service number 1 runs from Exeter to Tiverton. Alight at 'Killerton Turn'. It’s then a 15 minute walk to Killerton. Cross the main road from the bus stop and over the motorway bridge. After the cottages with the red phone box, through the gate into Sparrow Park. Follow the path across the field and then over the road, bearing right to the main entrance.
- Knightshayes - Take the Dartline bus service number 398 from Tiverton to Dulverton, alight at Bolham and Knightshayes is a 3/4 mile walk.
- Lorna Doone Valley - Can be accessed on the Exmoor Coaster bus route, alight at County Gate (3/4 mile from Lorna Doone Valley), follow the footpath heading south from the car park down the hill, the path will briefly join Coleridge Way and then come to a road, turn right at the road where the Buttery Cafe can be found 300m along the road next to the historic Malmsmead Bridge.
- Lower Halsdon Farm - Bus services run between Exeter to Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton. The bus stops within 1 mile.
- Lydford Gorge - Services between Okehampton and Tavistock stop at both entrances to Lydford Gorge. Dartline Coaches service number 118. Alight at Lydford Gorge main entrance for the Devil's Cauldron entrance and alight at Lydford Gorge lower entrance for the Waterfall entrance.
- Mill Bay - Take the Tally Ho bus service number 164 from Totnes to Kingsbridge, or the Stagecoach bus service number X64 from Totnes to Kingsbridge, then take the Tally Ho bus service number 606 from Kingsbridge to Salcombe. Follow the directions by ferry.
- Morehoe - There are regular bus services from Ilfracombe to Barnstaple.
- Orcombe Point - Bus services run between Exeter to Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton. The bus stops within 1 mile.
- Parke - Stagecoach 39 run regular bus services from Exeter to Newton Abbot via Bovey Tracey town centre. From here it is a 15 minute walk along level ground to the estate. Country Bus 193 runs between Bovey Tracey and Newton Abbot on a Wednesday and Friday.
- Saltram - A bus service from the city centre will drop off within 1 mile, please call Saltram on 01752 333500 to request a details document with directions.
- Shaugh Bridge - Take the Plymouth Citybus service number 59 from Plymouth, alight at Shaugh Bridge for walks.
- Sidmouth Countryside - The Axe Valley Mini-Travel service 899 runs between Seaton and Sidmouth. Alternatively from Exeter, take the Stagecoach service number 52B to Sidmouth. From Sidmouth, Salcombe Hill is approximately a 2 mile walk.
- South Milton Sands - Buses to South Milton and Thurlestone run from Kingsbridge. The Tally Ho service number 606 runs from Kingsbridge on the hour, taking around 6 minutes and dropping passengers 1 mile outside of South Milton.
- Watersmeet - There are services from Barnstaple (TW Coaches 309 / 310), Minehead (Quantock 300, in the summer only) and Ilfracombe (Filer 300). On all, alight at Lynmouth then walk through the National Trust gorge.
- Wembury - Take the number 48 bus service from Plymouth to Wembury (this is daily, but limited on Sundays) and alight at Southland Park Road, Wembury Beach is then an 8 minute walk away. For Wembury Point, take the number 49 bus service from Plymouth to Heybrook Bay.
- Woolacombe - There are regular bus services from Barnstaple, Croye, Ilfracombe and Lynmouth. Service 308 (Barnstaple-Braunton-Croyde-Georgeham) to Baggy Point, service 303 (Barnstaple-Woolacombe), service 31 and service 31a (Ilfracombe-Woolacombe) for Woolacombe and Mortehoe, service 300 (Lynmouth-Ilfracombe) for Torrs Walk coast path.
Nearby railway stations
- A la Ronde - The nearest stations are in Lympstone Village (1 mile) and Exmouth (2 miles).
If arriving at Lympstone station, walk through the village to the A376, turn right towards Exmouth. There is a brown sign for A la Ronde as you walk up the hill, and Summer Lane is the left turn at the crossroads adjacent to the car sales forecourt.
From Exmouth either catch the Stagecoach bus service number 57 (Exmouth, Savoy Cinema (Stop D)) alighting at Courtlands Cross, Summer Lane is on the right adjacent to the car sales forecourt, or you walk away from the town centre on the A376 towards Exeter.
- Bradley - The nearest station is Newton Abbot (1.1 miles). 1.1 mile walk through the high street via Queen Street and Courtenay Street. There are taxi services and connecting bus routes from the station. Take the No 12 Stagecoach bus to the Council offices, alight here and change for No 7 to Newton Abbot Bradley Road.
- Compton Castle - The nearest station is Paignton (4.2 miles). There are taxi services available. Travelling onward via by bus, walk to Paignton Bus station and catch the 125 Country Bus. Alight at Marldon School stop and walk for 1.5 miles through narrow country lanes following the brown local tourist attraction signposts.
- Finch Foundry - The nearest station is Okehampton (4 miles). The Stagecoach SW service number 6A picks up from the station and passes Finch Foundry. Alternatively head into Okehampton town (a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute bus ride) to catch Country Bus service number 178. Cycle hire is available from youth hostel next to station. It is worth noting there are no taxi services available at this station.
- Greenway - The nearest station is Paignton (4.4 miles). There are taxi services available. Alternatively, walk to Paignton Bus Station for the Stagecoach 120 bus to Kingswear. Alight at Windy Corner. From the stop it is a 2 mile walk through narrow country lanes, which are steep in places.
- Lower Halsdon Farm - Exmouth (less than 1 mile) and Lympstone Village (1 ½ miles) are the nearest stations. The Exe Estuary Trail connects Lower Halsdon Farm from both stations on foot.
- Orcombe Point - Exmouth (2 miles) and Lympstone Village (4 miles) are the nearest stations. Continue on foot from Lympstone Station to Exmouth following the Exe Estuary Trail.
- Saltram - The nearest station is Plymouth (3 1/2 miles). Cycle hire is available and taxi services are available from this station.
The National Cycle Network (NCN) is a UK-wide network of signed paths and routes, ideal if you’re looking to reach places by bike.
- A la Ronde - NCN2 is a route between Exeter and Exmouth and runs alongside the Exe Estuary. Towards the Exmouth end of the route is a turn up towards A la Ronde. At the top you will need to cross the main road at the crossing and make your way left towards Courtland Cross. Summer Lane is on the right by Haldon Motors.
- Baggy Point - The Tarka Trail is within 1 mile.
- Branscombe - NCN2 passes through Branscombe Village.
- Buckland Abbey - NCN27, Drake's Trail is within 2 miles.
- Cadover Bridge - Is on NCN272.
- Castle Drogo - Is close to NCN28, which is part of the long distance cycling route, the Dartmoor Way. There are bike racks on site, located near the outside seating area for the café.
- Clyston Mill - The cycle path runs from Killerton to Broadclyst Village and passes Clyston Mill. It's a 6 mile round trip that avoids the main road.
- Coleton Fishacre - Can be reached on bike through narrow country lanes, with steep slopes. Please be aware of traffic. There are bike racks available on arrival.
- Dunsland - The Tarka Trail follows the old railways of North Devon, forming part of Devon's Coast to Coast cycle route (part of NCN27) between Ilfracombe and Plymouth. It also joins The West Country Way (part of NCN3) between Bristol and Padstow, which passes within a few miles of Dunsland at Holsworthy.
- Finch Foundry - Is on NCN28.
- Greenway - Can be reached by narrow country lanes, please be aware of traffic. There are bike racks available at Visitor Reception.
- Heddon Valley - is on NCN51.
- Knightshayes - is on NCN3. Please park your bike in the lower car park near the red gates into the plant centre.
- Lorna Doone Valley - is on the NCN51 route.
- Lower Halsdon Farm - The Exe Estuary Trail passes between Exeter and Exmouth. It is a mostly traffic free route that runs alongside the Exe Estuary and directly passes Lower Halsdon Farm.
- Lydford Gorge - Both entrances to Lydford Gorge are on NCN27.
- Mill Bay - is on NCN28. Please note that if travelling by bicycle, you will need to board the East Portlemouth passenger ferry.
- Morehoe - The Tarka Trail is within 1 mile and is also on NCN278.
- Orcombe Point - NCN2 is a route between Exeter and Exmouth. It passes within 2 miles of Orcombe Point.
- Parke - The Newton Abbot to Bovey Tracey cycleway mainly follows the route taken by the granite quarried from beneath Haytor (a granite tor in Dartmoor National Park) and transported to Newton Abbot. It is a moderate 9 mile cycle route along fairly quiet roads, with some traffic-free sections, waymarked with blue cycleway signs. It forms part of the Wray Valley Trail.
- Plymbridge Woods - Is on NCN27.
- Saltram - Is on NCN27.
- Shaugh Bridge - Is on NCN27, leave the route at Shaugh Station platform and follow the road north to Shaugh Bridge.
- Sidmouth Countryside - A section of NCN2 stretches between Sidmouth and Seaton. This route mostly follows country lanes along the coast. This is a hilly route.
- Watersmeet - A bridleway passes close by Watersmeet House, amongst other cycle routes in the area. Please do not cycle on the footpaths.
- Wembury - Undulating cycle ride from Plymouth to Wembury along fairly busy A roads, which join quieter rural roads. NCN2 and NCN27 pass through Plymouth.
- Woolacombe - NCN27 runs from Ilfracombe to Barnstaple above Woolacombe Bay, passing close to Mortehoe and Baggy Point.
Arriving by foot
The South West Coast Path (SWCP) is the longest waymarked long-distance footpath and a National Trail. It stretches 630 miles, running from Minehead in Somerset, along the coasts of Devon and Cornwall, to Poole Harbour in Dorset.
- A la Ronde - Is on the East Devon Way alongside SWCP (2 miles).
- Baggy Point - Is on Moor Lane. Walk through Croyde village, and follow brown signs to Baggy Point car park.
- Bradley - Is 1/2 mile from the centre of Newton Abbot, follow Wolborough Street to Bakers Park, the path leads through to Bradley Manor and woods.
- Branscombe - The SWCP is within 3/4 mile.
- Castle Drogo - Is on several long distance walking routes. Two Moors Way, a coast to coast walking route crossing Dartmoor and Exmoor and the Dartmoor Way, 108 miles circular route around Dartmoor National park.
- Clyston Mill - Follow the trail map from Killerton to Broadclyst Village. The route passes by the mill. It's a leisurely 6 mile walk that follows the cycle path.
- Coleton Fishacre - ¾ mile on the SWCP. Access from the South West Coast Path is possible via the gate at the bottom of Coleton Fishacre garden (between Scabbacome Sands and Froward Point). This is only accessible during opening hours. Please proceed to Visitor Reception on arrival.
- Finch Foundry - The 180-mile Tarka Trail, inspired by Tarka the otter, passes through Sticklepath on the Okehampton to Eggesford section. Finch Foundry is a two minute walk from the trail route.
- Greenway - On the Dart Valley Trail and is 3 miles from Kingwear, or 6 miles from Dartmouth.
- Heddon Valley - The SWCP is within 3/4 mile.
- Lorna Doone Valley - Is one mile from the SWCP. Turning off the SWCP at Sister's Fountain (spring) towards the A39, follow the path as it crosses the road and heads into County Gate car park, then south down the hill briefly joining the Coleridge Way. The Buttery Café can be found around 300m west along the road next to the historic Malmsmead Bridge.
- Lower Halsdon Farm - SWCP is within 1 ½ miles. The East Devon Way directly passes the farm.
- Mill Bay - Is on the SWCP and can be accessed from Salcombe on foot via the East Portlemouth passenger ferry.
- Morehoe - Is on the SWCP.
- Orcombe Point - Is on the SWCP
- Parke - Is a short walk of roughly 1 mile from the town of Bovey Tracey, along a public footpath leading to the estate.
Saltram - The SWCP is within 4 miles and NCN27 is also accessible to pedestrians.
- Sidmouth Countryside - Follow the SWCP way markers from Sidmouth town. A 7 mile stretch of Coast Path links Sidmouth with Branscombe and continues to Beer and Seaton. The 899 bus service provides a good return travel option between Seaton and Sidmouth.
- South Milton Sands - Is on the SWCP.
- Watersmeet - The SWCP is within 3/4 mile. Leave the path at either Countisbury or Lynmouth. 1 1/2 miles from Lynmouth, follow river upstream to Watersmeet House, approximately 2 miles, it's a very pleasant riverside walk.
- Wembury - Is on the SWCP.
- Woolacombe - The SWCP runs across Woolacombe from Croyde in the west and to Ilfracombe in the east, passing through Woolacombe and Mortehoe.
Arriving by water
- Greenway - Ferry services run from March to October via the Greenway Ferry Company. From Dartmouth (park at Dartmouth Park and Ride, six hours minimum parking required) and call Greenway Ferry Service on 01803 882811. If coming from Dittisham (pay and display parking in The Ham car park, limited spaces in July and August) there is a regular ferry service available daily from March to October, ring the bell for service.
If travelling by canoe, kayak or boat and you wish to land at Greenway Quay, please contact Greenway Ferries on 01803 882811.
- Lower Halsdon Farm - Ferry service runs from Starcross Pier to Exmouth, seven days a week between April and October. Explorers Water Taxi service operates between Exmouth and Dawlish Warren. From Exmouth Marina, it is a 1 1/2 mile walk to the farm.
- Mill Bay - Take the East Portlmouth Ferry from the ferry pier to Salcombe (Easter to end of October) or Whitestrand (November to Easter). Please note it is a 5-10 minute walk from the ferry to Mill Bay, either along the road or at low tide along the beach.
- Orcombe Point - Ferry service runs from Starcross Pier to Exmouth, seven days a week between April and October. Explorers Water Taxi service operates between Exmouth and Dawlish Warren. From Exmouth Marina, it is a 1 1/2 mile walk to Orcombe Point.
- Wembury - There is a seasonal ferry to Noss Mayo.