Little People, BIG DREAMS® exhibition and trail at Polesden Lacey
- 20 September 2023
Little People, BIG DREAMS® exhibition and trail at Polesden Lacey encourages kids to be bold, be brave and dream big this autumn.
Let your children’s imagination run free at Polesden Lacey. We have a fascinating exhibition and outdoor trail which will be on display from 9 September– 29 October 2023. This exhibition is a perfect way to excite and inspire your little ones, together with family and friends.
Exhibition and trail
The exhibition brings to life the bestselling biography series ‘Little People, Big Dreams by Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara. As you visit the house and wander around the grounds there are numerous opportunities to delve into the lives of some extraordinary people including designers, artists, and scientists to name a few. As you follow the trail you will soon realise how their dreams as little children grew to become their reality.
There will be plenty of stories to encourage your little ones to dream big sprinkled around the grounds where Margaret Greville too once welcomed some extraordinary individuals to Polesden Lacey, from Kings and Queens, politicians, and Maharajas. In the exhibition space you can expect to be welcomed by Malala Yousafzai and Martin Luther King Jr on arrival in the Stable Courtyard, followed by Frida Kahlo in the welcome area. But make sure you don’t miss David Attenborough hiding in the Preserve Copse and Jane Austen who will be waiting in the house library.
What to expect
Characters in the trail include scientists and explorers such as Charles Darwin and Ernest Shackleton, also iconic musicians such as Elton John and Stevie Wonder with many more to explore. Every book in the series is beautifully illustrated by a range of artists. The Striking illustrations are displayed to paint a picture of the lives of some extraordinary people, who have played an important part in history and the world we live in today. In tandem with the exhibition there will also be books to read, activities to try and a free trail journal to complete, that can be collected on arrival at visitor reception.
Chris Osbourne, Visitor Operations and Experience Manager at Polesden Lacey says: “We’ve had so much fun creating this inspiring exhibition trail, which is open from 9 September to the end of October half term, presenting the lives of some iconic people who dreamed big and made positive changes in the world. The exhibition trail is a wonderful way to excite and inspire your little ones on a day out together. We hope that children will feel empowered to dream big, just like the many iconic people they will meet along the way.”
Things you might need to know before you plan your visit
- The exhibition and trail run from Saturday 9 September – 29 October 2023. Gardens open from 10am-5pm and the house from 11am – 3.30pm daily.
- No booking necessary free event but normal property admission price applies (free for National Trust members).
- Toilets and baby changing facilities available.
- Exhibition and trail widely accesible, please be aware preserve copse area can be uneven in places. Read more about accesibility here
- Trail is buggie friendly, please use the buggie park to place buggies before entering the house.
- Cafes located in Dairy courtyard and Stable courtyard with plenty delicious food, both have indoor and outdoor seating area.
- If you or your children feel particularly inspired by one of the stories there is an opportunity to purchase a variety of the bestselling biography series in the National Trust Shop.
- Dogs welcome in some areas of the trail, click here to learn about the canine code for your furry friends.
- There is overflow car park availability if the main car park is full