A 1970s Christmas at Lamb House
Step back in time to the 1970s for a nostalgic Christmas inspired by author Rumer Godden's time at Lamb House.
A 1970s Christmas
Mon 27 Nov - Wed 20 Dec, excl. Thursdays | 11am - 4pm, last entry 3:30pm
We're stepping back in time to the groovy 1970s for a nostalgia-filled spectacle at Lamb House. Inspired by The Fairy Doll, a Christmas tale by former resident author Rumer Godden, we invite you to rediscover the kitsch, the cosy and the memories of a 1970s Christmas.
The Christmas Offer
Featuring a fantastic artwork display created by The Oaks Specialist College, the house will be transformed with the sights and sounds of this colourful decade.
Reminisce with loved ones as you explore the house and discover the toys, decorations and recipes of your childhood.
There will be opportunities to decorate a Christmas tree, Satruday storybook readings, a Christmas Card workshop and a Hide-And-Seek trail inspired by Rumer Godden's Christmas tale The Fairy Doll.
Rumer Godden lived at Lamb House from 1967 until 1974 and is best known for works such as Black Narcissus and The Diddakoi, which was awarded the first ever Whitbread Children's Book Award.
Activities in the House
- Community Art Project (2 December)
- As part of the Christmas in Rye Festival, we want you to get creative with colour and design wax paper stained glass panels to fill our window display!Find out more here
- Christmas Card Making (8 December)
- Join artist Amanda Cardoso and learn how to make cards you can take home for Christmas! In celebration of the book launch for the 2023 Manderley Press edition of Rumer Godden's 'China Court'.Find out more
- Saturday Storybook Hours (2, 9 & 16 December)
- Join us in the Breakfast Room for a reading of Rumer Godden's Christmas Tale and discover the mischief, magic and uplifting adventures of Elizabeth and the Fairy Doll | Readings throughout the day, between 12pm - 3pmFind out more
- The Fairy Doll Trail (daily, excl. Thurs)
- Pesky Fairy Dolls have hidden themselves around the house! Challenge yourself to find a fairy in each room, but beware! These fairies are masters of disguise and may not look like dolls...Find out more
Step back in time and experience a historic Christmas first-hand. See houses decked out with decorations from across history and be transported right back to the festivities of the time.
Many of the houses and buildings in our care that will be transformed with colour this Christmas. Find out more about our winter illuminations and lights trails and book tickets for your visit.
Plan a festive family day out and meet Father Christmas in his grotto this Christmas. You can even settle down for a storytelling session or leave a gift at a reverse grotto at some of the places in our care.