Family Days out at Colby Woodland Garden
- 30 March 2023
Enjoy a day out exploring Colby Woodland Garden and the wider estate with friends and family. Explore this special hidden wooded garden in a valley, discover its history and marvel at the trees and sky in the sky gazing glade.
Planning your family visit
To help you plan your day in advance, here’s some key information.
- You can find our opening times here. Please check before you travel as opening times for certain parts of the garden may change depending on the season.
- Take part in our events throughout the open season.
- The Bothy Tearoom serves scrumptious fresh food.
- We welcome picnics.
- There are natural play areas.
- Dogs are welcome but must be kept on a lead throughout Colby Woodland Garden. Read more about visiting with your four-legged friend here
- Toilets can be found in the courtyard next to the Bothy. There are baby changing facilities as well as accessible toilet facilities.
- If you’re visiting with a wheelchair or pushchair, there is level access from a drop off point near to the vehicle access to the courtyard area. If you require assistance or more information, please ask a member of our friendly team. View our accessibility map here.
Autumn highlights at Colby
Colby’s wooded grounds are a haven for nature and the perfect spot to wander whilst enjoying the sights and sounds of autumn. Spot fungi on the forest floor, squirrels hunting for nuts and birds preparing for winter. Soak up the marvellous autumn tones of acers, dogwood and sweet gum as you explore. There’s a small orchard you can visit on the wider estate as well as fruit trees in the walled garden.
Why not go on a walk with all the family and tick off ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’? Go foraging for wild food, play conkers, watch a bird, or build a den in the undergrowth.
Natural Play areas
The Woodland Garden is the perfect place for children of all ages to discover nature through natural play. Discover the sky gazing glade at the top of the woods or have fun building a den under the trees. Enjoy jumping on the giant stepping-stones or explore the flora and fauna that makes its home around the stream running through the meadow in the lower part of the garden.
Pick up a “50 things to do before your 11 and ¾ ‘s” leaflet and chart from the visitor welcome centre when you arrive to give the kids an idea of how to make the most out of this giant outdoor play garden.
Eating and shopping
Find out more about here, or if the weather is good pack a picnic and a blanket to enjoy a spread with the whole family in the meadow in the lower part of the garden.
If you fancy shopping check out the Pembrokeshire Craftmakers Gallery above the tearoom or treat yourself or a friend to a Colby guidebook and second-hand book from the visitor welcome centre.
A favourite with locals and visitors alike, the Bothy Tea-room serves delicious lunches and mouth-watering cakes and the Loft Gallery sells hand crafted local products. Our Visitor Centre has a second hand bookshop and souvenirs for the garden.
Colby Woodland Garden is a one pawprint rated place. Find out more about bringing your dog to the wooded valley and when and where you can visit.
From the walled garden’s humble beginnings as a kitchen garden, the woodland garden’s acres of heritage to our natural playground, there’s something for everyone.