Sustainable travel in Wales
Whether you’re looking to travel by train, bus, or foot. Plan your day out in Wales using greener travel options.
Travel by bus
- Bodnant Garden - The Arriva Bus service, number 25 bus from Llandudno stops outside the entrance gate. Please check Arriva Wales for latest bus timetables.
- Chirk Castle - The Arriva Bus service, number 2/A bus from Wrexham to Oswestry drops off in Chirk Village near the train station. Please check Arriva Wales for latest bus timetables.
- Erddig - Catch the Arriva Bus service routes: Route 2 from Oswestry and through Cefn Mawr to Wrexham, Route 4 from Penycae, Route 5 from Llangollen. Stop at Felin Puleston, Rhostyllen and walk 1 mile through Erddig Country Park. Please check Arriva Wales for latest bus timetables.
- Penrhyn Castle and Garden - Bus services from Bangor and Caernarfon to Llandudno, with a 1 mile walk from the bus alighting at the castle driveway. Please check Traveline Cymru for latest timetables.
- Plas Newydd House and Garden - The 42 bus from Bangor to Llangefni (passes Bangor train station and near Llanfairpwll train station) stops on the Brynsiencyn Road, near the visitor car park. Please check Traveline Cymru for latest timetables.
- Plas yn Rhiw - The 17B bus from Pwllheli to Aberdaron (passing Pwllheli train station), stops at the entrance gate. Please check Traveline Cymru for latest timetables.
- Llŷn - Check the latest timetables for the Llŷn fflecsi bus service here. Check local bus timetables here.
- Eryri (Snowdonia) - Check the latest timetables for a network of connecting bus services in Eryri here.
- Powis Castle and Garden - Bus services from Oswestry to Welshpool and Shrewsbury to Llanidloes. Alight at the High Street. 1-mile walk from Park Lane, off Broad Street in Welshpool. Access from High Street (A490). Please check Traveline Cymru for latest timetables.
- Llanerchaeron - The T1 Traws Cymru bus Service from Aberaeron Alban Square 1 to Lampeter. Please check Traws Cymru for latest timetables.
- Tredegar House - Local buses numbers 30 and 36 stop within a 5-minute walk of Tredegar House. Please check Newport Bus for the latest timetables.
- Dinefwr - Bus services to Llandeilo. Please check Traveline Cymru for latest timetables. The nearest bus stop to Dinefwr Park is on Carmarthen Road, Llandeilo.
- Dolaucothi - Catch the No. 689 bus from Lampeter. Check Bwca bws for the latest timetable.
- Dyffryn Gardens - Catch the number X2 bus to St Nicholas, then it's a 1 mile (1.6km) walk to the entrance. (Please note this is a walk along a country road without a pavement). Check the latest timetable here.
- Pembrokeshire - Please check Pembrokeshire Council bus services and Coastal Cruiser bus routes here.
- Brecon Beacons - Catch the number T4 bus, Cardiff-Newtown. Alight at Storey Arms for access to the Beacons. Check the latest timetables here.
Rhosili and South Gower - There are regular bus services from Swansea to Rhosili, timetables change seasonally. Services 118/119 (NAT) and 114 (Sundays First Cymru). Additional services connect quieter parts of Gower with the 118 and 116 Swansea-North Gower service. Check the latest timetables for the Gower Explorer bus service here.
Whiteford and North Gower - Catch the Gower Explorer 115, 116 and 119. Check the latest timetables here.
Travel by rail
Don’t forget to plan your onward journey from the train station.
- Penrhyn Castle and Garden - Nearest station is Bangor, 3 miles away.
- Bodnant Garden - The recommended station is Llandudno Junction, on the main line. This has bus access and taxis. 5 miles away.
- Chirk Castle - Nearest station is Chirk Station ¼ mile to the gates of the estate, and 1½ miles in total to the castle.
- Erddig - Nearest stations are Wrexham Central (1.7 mile walk) or Wrexham General (1.9 mile walk).
- Plas Newydd House and Garden - Nearest station is Llanfairpwll, 1¾ miles away.
- Plas yn Rhiw - Nearest station is Pwllheli, 10 miles away.
- Powis Castle and Garden - Nearest station is Welshpool. 1-mile walk from Park Lane, off Broad Street in Welshpool. Access from High Street (A490).
- Llanerchaeron - Nearest station is New Inn Forge on the train service from Aberystwyth to Carmarthen, ½ mile away.
- Tredegar House - Nearest station is Newport Station, 2 miles away.
- Dinefwr - Nearest station is Llandeilo, 1.5 miles from Dinefwr Park. The Heart of Wales Line runs southbound to Swansea or northbound to Shrewsbury.
- Dyffryn Gardens - Nearest train station is Cardiff Central, 7 miles (11.3km) away.
- Tudor Merchant’s House - Nearest station is Tenby, ½ mile away.
- Colby Woodland Garden - Nearest station is Kilgetty, 2½ miles away.
- Stackpole Estate - Nearest station is Pembroke 5.6 miles away
Arriving by foot
- Chirk Castle - There are permitted footpaths from Chirk village year-round and from Offa’s Dyke Path from April to October. The entrance and exit drives are accessible on foot, it is a 1½ mile walk to Home Farm ticket office.
- Erddig - From the train stations, walk via footpath on Erddig Road. From Felin Puleston bus stop, walk 1 mile through Erddig Country Park. Walking boots recommended on wet weather days.
- Plas yn Rhiw - Easily accessed on foot from the Llyn coastal path.
- Powis Castle and Garden - 1-mile walk from Park Lane, off Broad Street in Welshpool. Access from High Street (A490).
- Llanerchaeron - Walk the 2½ mile path from Aberaeron to Llanerchaeron along old railway line. The route is called the Allt y Graig Woodland Trail.
- Colby Woodland Garden - It is a 3/4 mile walk from Amroth via public footpath beside the Amroth Arms.
- Tudor Merchant’s House - Follow the finger post from Tudor Square by Lifeboat Tavern, or from Bridge Street or Crackwell Street.
Electric vehicle charging points
We have 36 charging points for electric vehicles across the castles, historic houses, beaches, and valleys we care for.
Discover which National Trust places in Wales have electric vehicle charging points available to use, to help plan your visit.
Explore wide open landscapes, gentler coastal strolls or energetic hikes for something a little more challenging. We've rounded up some of the best places to walk in Wales.
Step into a medieval fortress with dungeons at Chirk or visit the home of the Welsh princes at Powis Castle. Discover some of the finest and most famous castles in Wales.
Explore magnificent Welsh mansions and their collections, from ancestral homes to buildings designed by renowned architects. Discover the history and tales from bygone days, in breath-taking settings across Wales.