Walking in London and the South East
From sweeping landscapes to ancient woodland, there are lots of places in London and the South East where you can enjoy gentle strolls and invigorating hikes in nature. Find your next local walk here.
Soak up the sights, sounds and scents of the season on a crisp autumn walk. Feel the crunch of fallen twigs underfoot, watch the leaves change colour around you and listen out for honking geese flying overhead. From ancient woodland and rolling countryside, to deer parks and dramatic coastline, there are plenty of places to blow away the cobwebs, unwind in nature and enjoy spectacular views this season. Sp wrap up warm, pull on your walking boots, and find a trail near you below.
- This is plenty to discover on a walk in Hampshire including ancient farmland and peaceful country lanes on the Mottisfont estate, and majestic beech woodland and panoramic views at Hinton Ampner in the South Downs National Park.Top walks in Hampshire
- Discover the Chartwell estate and the surrounding countryside, explore the woodland and wildlife at Sissinghurst Castle Garden and enjoy the panoramic views at Toys Hill.Top walks in Kent
- Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire
- From gentle wanders through meadows to longer jaunts across the rolling Chiltern hills, there are lots of walks in Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire for the whole family to enjoy.Top walks in Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire
- You’ll find no shortage of leg-stretching walks in Surrey with plenty to see along the way. Wander through ancient woodlands in the Runnymede countryside or take in some of the best views of the Surrey Hills on a leisurely stroll at Box Hill.Top walks in Surrey
- From country lanes to hilltops and open parkland to coastal paths, breathe in the autumn air on some of Sussex’s finest countryside and coastline walks. Walk in the footsteps of Rudyard Kipling’s storybook characters at Bateman's and discover the Petworth views that inspired England’s greatest landscape painter, JMW Turner.Top walks in Sussex
- From acres of parkland at Osterley Park to the meadows, wetlands and woodlands of Ham House, discover where to go for the best walks in London.Top walks around London
- Isle of Wight
- From discovering dinosaur fossils on a walk at Compton Bay, to the red squirrel woods at Borthwood Copse, and the breathtaking cliff-top views on Tennyson Down, find out where to go for the best walks on the Isle of Wight.Top walks on the Isle of Wight
Explore some of the finest landscapes in our care on coastal paths, accessible trails, woodland walks and everything in between. Find the best places to walk near you.
Find out more about the National Trust’s ongoing partnership with Cotswold Outdoor as our exclusive walking partner.
Help to look after National Trust places by observing a few simple guidelines during your visit and following the Countryside Code.
The special places in National Trust care sometimes come with a few risks for visitors, be it coastline or countryside. Find out how to keep safe throughout your visits.