About the Assembly Rooms

Visitors at the Jane Austen festival

The Bath Assembly rooms were designed by John Wood the Younger in 1769. Their purpose was to be a place for dancing and music. When they were completed in 1771 they were described as 'the most noble and elegant of any in the kingdom'.

Please check the home page before visiting 

This article was created before the Coronavirus crisis and may not reflect the current situation. Please check the home page for the most up to date information about visiting.

Each of the four rooms, the Great Octagon, Tea Room, Ball Room and Card Room, had a specific purpose, as their names suggest, but they could all adapt for other functions, as they still do today. Guests can move easily, behind closed doors, from room to room throughout the day and there is a small formal garden.

There is a cafe and gift shop located on the ground floor, and the Bath Fashion Museum is located on the lower ground floor.