After years of neglect this historic building was sadly being prepared for demolition, a decision that would have a devastating effect on over a thousand years of history. Two local brothers with a passion for the Hall stepped in to save the property and donated it to the National Trust to be conserved and looked after for ever.
In 1913 the estate was in disrepair and in the process of being sold. The trustees of the owner (the late Colonel Bence) sold a number of internal fittings including fireplaces, panelling and plaster ceilings. There was speculation at the time that the hall would be taken down stone by stone and reconstructed in America.
The mayor of Keighley, William Brigg, and his twin brother John saw the importance of the property and paid £2000 to buy back the sold fittings. They reserved their right of removal, hoping that public funding could be raised to retain them. The plan was unsucessful, and in 1914 and 1921 much of the estate including land, canal wharves and cottages were sadly sold.
The fate of the hall was discussed again in 1924 with possible acquisition for the public by the Borough Council. A few years later Keighley Corporation showed some interest but eventually the estate was sold in 1933 to Harry Emmott from Keighley. He planned to demolish and re-erect the Hall elsewhere in Yorkshire, or to incorporate the stone into other buildings.
Saddened by the news, the Brigg brothers stepped in again by purchasing the Hall and 12 acres of land for several thousand pounds. Emmott retained the rest for building, and today the Hall is surrounded by 1930's residential housing estates.
In 1934, the two brothers donated the Hall to the National Trust with the understanding that it would be looked after for ever and that the land surrounding it would be used for recreation by the local communities.