2020 National Trust Handbook photography competition
We're searching for an image that shows how places can make you feel good. Enter our photography competition and be in with a chance of having your photo featured on the cover of our 2020 Handbook.
Could you be the person to take the picture that captivates more than five million National Trust members?
This year we're looking for a standout image that portrays the competition theme of 'places that make you feel good'. What's it like being in your favourite place? Can you capture the exhilaration of a mountain climb or waves crashing on the rocks? Or a moment of peace enjoyed when canoeing around a lake, exploring a quiet forest or feeling the sun on your face in a rose garden?
The winning photo will need to show how the countryside and landscaped gardens or historic houses we look after can spark adventure, inspire us and change the way we feel.
The competition is open to both amateurs and professionals, and runs from Wednesday 1 May 2019 to 23:59 on Sunday 1 September 2019. Entries should be submitted by email (below). Our judging panel will choose the winning photo to feature on the cover of the Handbook, which will be published in 2020, as we celebrate our 125th anniversary.
The winner will not only get to see their image on the front cover of the 2020 Handbook, they will also win £1,500 worth of credit to spend on National Trust holiday cottages.The runner-up will win £500 worth of credit to spend on National Trust holiday cottages. From turreted towers and lighthouses, to listed lodges and country mansions, our holiday cottages are a magical way to experience the countryside across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
What to submit
- Your photos must be taken at National Trust places
- We will only accept a maximum of 10 photos per entrant
- Your photos must be in landscape format, in full colour (not black and white) and taken in 2019
- We'd like to see people in the photos
- The focal point of the photograph should be ideally be on the right side of the image for the Handbook cover
- Please don't send very close-up shots (eg macro shots of flowers and insects)
- Your photos need to be at least 300dpi and sent as a jpeg file no bigger than 10MB. Send us your photos as attachments - don't embed them in the email
- You'll need the people in your photographs to give written consent
- Full competition rules, which must be adhered to, are linked below
You must read the rules of the competition before submitting your entries
Handbook cover guidance
Photos taken for the cover must be in landscape format in order to wrap around the handbook. The focal point of the photograph should be on the right hand side. Take a look at the diagram below to see how to compose your shots.