The restoration of the gazebos
The gazebos, built by Lawrence Johnston, were a feature in the garden by 1915. Historic paint analysis and research has enabled these buildings to be transformed into their original condition.
The placement of the gazebos adds to the structure and design of two important and central vistas in the garden, one towards Heaven’s Gate through the Red Borders and the second along the Long Walk.
The gazebos were restored in 2017 using historic paint analysis. We don’t know exactly how the gazebos were used during Lawrence Johnston’s time, however, the tiled 'table' in the North gazebo may have been used as a serving table from where the picnics could be assembled for a small gatherings.
" …the grown-ups playing violent games of tennis, and tea under the beech trees on the raised bit at the end of the lawn, while the silver kettle burbled under the spirit lamp and the thin slices of bread and butter melted in the great heat of the chequered sun - for it was always sunny in those summers! "