Our top 13 delightful hedgehog facts
We asked our rangers here at Hughenden for their top 13 delightful facts on our favourite spikey friends.
1. Hedgehogs are one of only three animals to hibernate in the United Kingdom.
2. Baby hedgehogs are called 'hoglets'.
3. Hedgehogs are lactose intolerant, rather than milk they prefer that you to leave out cat or dog food and water for them.
4. Hedgehogs have very bad eyesight but their senses of smell and hearing are impeccable.
5. Hedgehogs are nocturnal creatures meaning they only come out at night.
6. A hedgehog can run over six feet per second, that's about as long as your bed!
7. In one night hedgehogs can walk over two miles.
8. Hedgehogs are insectivores, meaning they love the bugs in your garden.
9. A group of hedgehogs is called an 'array'.
10. Hedgehogs haven't always been called hedgehogs, a long time ago they were called 'urchins'.
11. They have between 5000-7000 spines on their back which raise and lower if they feel threatened. Hedgehogs will curl up in a ball when they feel threatened and use these spines to protect themselves.
12. Hedgehogs enjoy foraging around in bushes and the undergrowth, that's how they got their name.
13. Hedgehogs are known as a 'gardener's friend' as they eat all the insects that nibble on our much loved plants.