Lytes Cary Manor - an Arts and Crafts inspired garden
The garden you see today at Lytes Cary Manor is very different to the garden that existed during the 17th and 18th centuries when the Lyte family were in residence.
Henry Lyte was a keen herbalist and gardener and lived at Lytes Cary Manor in 1550s. His son Thomas wrote that he grew apples, pears, plums, grapes, cherries, walnuts and peaches. Sadly during the decline of the property in the Victorian period, much of the original garden was lost.
The Jenner family took up residence in 1907. Previous owners and tenants had farmed right up to the house, requiring Sir Walter Jenner to create a new garden. The design was Arts and Craft inspired and featured mostly rectangular ‘rooms’ separated by yew hedges and stone walls, each reflecting a different mood or purpose.
Sir Walter Jenner passed away in 1948, leaving Lytes Cary to the National Trust. The Manor was let in 1955 to Jeremy Chittenden and his wife Biddy who both worked tirelessly over the next 45 years to transform the gardens into those we now know.