Summer holiday activities at Mottisfont
From 20 July – 8 September, you can travel through Beano’s history of mischief and mayhem with a vibrant new family-friendly exhibition in the gallery. Outside, you can whizz back to Mottisfont’s past with favourite Beano characters on an exclusive trail created for us by the comic.
Family trail: Beano Time Travellers!
Saturday 20 July – Sunday 8 September, 10am - 5pm. £1 per trail.
A giant frieze on the walls of our visitor reception building reveals what happens when Beano kids create a time machine during a school trip to the former medieval priory... You can re-enact the story with our outdoor trail, designed by the comic.
While on a school trip to Mottisfont, the notorious Beano characters create a time machine to experience some of the National Trust property’s 800 year-old history for themselves, but it breaks down, scattering pieces throughout the grounds. Help them hunt the gardens to piece it back together so they can return to the 21st century.
As part of the trail there’s an exciting opportunity for children to create their very own comic strip too, using a specially designed Beano template. Designs can be entered into a competition to win a unique Beano prize.
The trail takes place outside, so come prepared for the weather!
Visiting with your family
As well as these additional activities, there's plenty of space to play at Mottisfont. There are wild play areas and some lawns suitable for ball games and frisbees.
Family friendly checklist
- Free entry for under 5s.
- Baby-changing facilities in access friendly toilets.
- Pushchairs admitted around the grounds and in all cafés, though not in the showrooms of the house due to space restrictions.
- Hip-carrying infant seats available for loan in the house.
- Children’s menu available from The Old Kitchen and Coach House Café.
- Ice cream parlour open on sunny days, with a wide range of scoop ice cream.
- Highchairs and baby food warming facilities available in The Old Kitchen and Coach House Café.
- Picnic spaces around the grounds.
- Pocket money gifts and children's books available in the shop. There are children's books in our second-hand bookshop, too.