Visiting Mottisfont with your family
There’s plenty of space to run, jump and play here, and always something for families to do - rain or shine. Test your limits in our Wild Play areas and explore the grounds with seasonal trails in school holidays.
Family fun around the grounds
Get your wet weather gear on to get stuck into our wild play areas. Try out your best balancing acts in the Climbing Bog, and splash around with the Pump, Pool and Paddle.
There are lots of natural features you can play with all around the grounds, and plenty of opportunities to tick off some of your 50 things to do before you're 11 ¾ activities. With wooden bridges and a rushing river, we're one of the country's top destinations for playing pooh sticks - challenge your family to a game when you visit.
Please note that while they’re welcome elsewhere in the grounds, four-legged friends aren’t allowed in our wild play areas, to make sure they're safe environments for all to play.
A family lunch
Our on-site cafés cater for all the family to make your visit as easy as possible. Children's menus are avilable from both the Old Kitchen and Coach House cafés, as well as highchairs and baby food warming facilities. Or, if you've packed your own lunch, there are plenty of picnic spaces. Breast feeding is welcome anywhere around the property.
Hints and tips for a family visit
- Free entry for under 5s.
- Baby-changing facilities in access friendly toilets.
- Pushchairs welcome around the grounds and catering outlets. There are gently-sloping areas and wide pathways around much of the grounds; pathways are uneven in some places so sturdy tyres are recommended.
- Hip-carrying infant seats available for loan in the house.
- Highchairs, baby food warming facilities and children’s menus available in the Old Kitchen and Coach House Cafés.
- Ice cream parlour open on sunny/busy days, with a wide range of scoop ice cream.
- Picnic spaces around the grounds.
- Breast feeding welcome anywhere around the property.
- Pocket money gifts and children's books available in the shop. There are children's books in our second-hand bookshop, too.
- Ball games and frisbees welcome, though please not on the formal lawns in front and behind the house, or in the walled rose gardens.
- Bikes, scooters and trikes are not allowed anywhere on site, due to vehicles operating onsite at all times, unfenced waterways, gravelled paths and visitor feedback. We only allow toddler push-along bikes, operated at all times by a parent/guardian.
- Areas of open water around the garden and grounds - close supervision strongly advised at all times.