Visiting Mottisfont with your family
There’s plenty of space to run, jump and play around Mottisfont, and always something for families to do.
Enjoy exploring and testing your limits in our Wild Play areas, including Boggy Climbing and Pump, Pool and Paddle, perfect for splashing around. There are seasonal activity trails to enjoy in the school holidays.
Inside, there are spotter trails for exploring the house and our exhibitions. Become an art expert in the gallery and uncover mysteries in our rooms. Every summer, we hold an exhibition that’s especially appealing for younger audiences.
Family friendly checklist
- Free entry for under 5s.
- Two play areas and places suitable for ball games and frisbees.
- Baby-changing facilities in access friendly toilets.
- Pushchairs admitted around the grounds and in all catering outlets, though not in the house due to space restrictions.
- Hip-carrying infant seats available for loan in the house.
- Children’s menu available from The Old Kitchen and Coach House Café.
- Highchairs and baby food warming facilities available in The Old Kitchen and Coach House Café.
- Picnic spaces around the grounds.
- Pocket money gifts and children's books available in the shop. There are children's books in our second-hand bookshop, too.
Hints and tips
Help us keep Mottisfont special – our gardens and house are hundreds of years old, and if you follow these tips you can help us look after this place forever, for everyone.
- We have over 35 different species of tree in our grounds. They’re beautiful to look at but please don’t climb them: take up the challenge in Boggy Climbing on the Wild Play trail instead.
- We’re surrounded by water – it’s the reason people settled here over 800 years ago. Our waterways are very old and fragile, so instead of paddling here head to our Pump, Pool and Paddle area. It's perfect for splashing around and cooling down in warm weather.
- There are some great spaces around the grounds for playing with frisbees, balls and running around. We welcome families to bring tricycles and balance bikes to enable children to learn to ride along our wide gravel paths. Standard bicycles (with pedals) are not permitted in the grounds. This helps us to make sure Mottisfont is a safe environment which all visitors to enjoy.
- Younger children are welcome to explore the grounds on push/kick scooters. Battery powered scooters and hoverboards are not permitted in the grounds.
Family fun around the grounds
We think it’s important to explore nature and get grazed knees and grass stains, so we’ve created this play trail to test your limits in the wild.
Try out your balancing acts in the Climbing Bog, make a splash with our Pump, Pool and Paddle and build a den in Hidden Hideouts. Please note that while they’re welcome elsewhere in the grounds, four-legged friends aren’t allowed in these areas, to make sure it’s a safe environment for all to play.
There are lots of natural features you can play with all around the grounds, and plenty of opportunities to tick off some of your 50 things to do before you're 11 ¾ activities. With wooden bridges and a rushing river, we're one of the country's top destinations for playing pooh sticks - challenge your family to a game when you visit!
Want to know a secret? The nearby Spearywell Woods are fantastic for den building, riding your bikes and running wild. Ask our team how to find it when you next visit.