Visiting Mottisfont with your family
There’s plenty of space to run, jump and play here, and always something for families to do - rain or shine.
Looking ahead to February half term
Our February half term trail will look at how nature bounces back. As you explore the grounds, look out for first spring flowers and find out how our gardens recover from winter weathers. There'll be activities and learning opportunities along the way.
Activities are aimed for children aged 6 and up, but there are simple spotter activities for younger children, too, looking out for different weather symbols.
To help avoid contact through handing out individual trail sheets and pencils, a large map placed near the entrance of our gardens will help you locate the activity points. You could take a photo to help guide you.
Other family fun
Wooden bridges and a rushing river mean we're one of the country's top destinations for playing pooh sticks - challenge your family to a game when you visit. Ball games and frisbees are welcome on the paddock areas (though please not on the formal lawns in front and behind the house, or in the walled rose gardens).
We're sorry, but our climbing and water play areas remain closed. We haven't been able to carry out essential maintenance to these facilities over the past year, and we don't feel we can open them safely yet.
Hints and tips for a half term visit
- To avoid disappointment please book in advance, especially at busier times such as weekends and bank holidays. However, where space is available on weekdays, pre-booking may not always be necessary. If you do not book we cannot guarantee admission.
- Free entry for under 5s.
- Baby-changing facilities in access friendly toilets, located at the Welcome Centre and Stables.
- Pushchairs welcome around the grounds. There are gently-sloping areas and wide pathways around much of the grounds which are suitable for pushchairs and little legs; pathways are muddy and uneven in some places so sturdy tyres are recommended.
- The Coach House Café is open from 10am-3.45pm daily, serving takeaway hot and cold drinks, light snacks, lunches and cakes. Please note that we're only accepting card payments at the moment. There's a one-way system to the till point and a mask is required here, unless exempt.
- Breast feeding welcome anywhere around the property.
- Ball games and frisbees welcome, though please not on the formal lawns in front and behind the house, or in the walled rose gardens.
- Bikes, scooters and trikes are not allowed anywhere on site, due to vehicles operating onsite at all times, unfenced waterways, gravelled paths and visitor feedback. We only allow toddler push-along bikes, operated at all times by a parent/guardian.
- Areas of open water around the garden and grounds - close supervision strongly advised at all times.