History of the Overbeck's garden
Overbeck’s garden is a 20th-century creation. Edric Hopkins, the first owner laid out much of the garden structure who sold the property to G.M. Vereker in 1913. He and his wife, who were keen gardeners, extended the garden to its present size. In 1928 the property was sold to Otto Overbeck, who continued to add rare and tender plants to an already unusual garden.
Plants from across the globe
Sheltered by woodland and cliffs, this area of Devon enjoys an astonishingly mild microclimate, thereby providing ideal growing conditions for many less hardy trees and shrubs. An increasing number of plants from Australia and New Zealand are grown, while the more formal area of garden near the house is Edwardian in character and reminiscent of gardens on the Mediterranean Riviera.