Our work at Packwood House
Being famous for our beautiful tapestries we need to make sure we keep them in the best condition. And thanks to generous donations we're able to continue to care for them.
A tale of tapestries
Currently we are using our raffle to raise funds to repair two of our tapestries, Shepherdess’ and the Resting Traveller. All together this will cost Packwood £8,000 to send the tapestries to Belgium for cleaning followed by repair at the Textile Conservation Studio at Blickling Estate.
A big thank you
It is only due to the generosity of our supporters that we are able to continue our work on the tapestries at Packwood.
If every visitor at Packwood donated £1 towards our tapestries, we would be able to conserve four of our larger tapestries each year.
To care for our tapestries we...
- keep them safe from light, heat, and visitors' fingers
- clean them carefully with a goat's hair brush, every two or three years
- know how to move them and display them properly
- have them surveyed and get regular condition reports
- send them to a textile conservator
- send them to a state of the art, modern studio, where they are looked after by a team of experts