The Charterhouse Project

Charterhouse, Coventry

The National Trust are delighted to be part of a ground breaking partnership with Historic Coventry Trust, helping to care for and restore part of Coventry's heritage for everyone to enjoy.

Historic Coventry Trust and the National Trust are currently recruiting for a number of exciting roles at the same time in a co-ordinated programme. These include an Education & Engagement Manager, Volunteer Co-ordinator, and Property Operations Manager for Charterhouse, a Carthusian Monastery in Coventry.

Coventry lies at the heart of England, and in the medieval period was at the centre of national power, hosting Parliament and courts, and serving as the national capital at times during the Wars of the Roses. Its rich surviving heritage has often been over-looked and underused since the wartime destruction of 1940. The Historic Coventry Trust has great aspirations and intends to maximise Coventry’s unique heritage assets to benefit the community and the local economy both today and in the future.

Charterhouse wallpainting
Charterhouse, Coventry
Charterhouse wallpainting

The Charterhouse is a grade I listed fourteenth century Carthusian Monastery, one of only nine ever built in Britain. It is the only Carthusian Monastery in the UK to have survived with intact internal features, including an internationally significant early fifteenth century wallpainting of Christ on the cross.


The majority of the religious buildings were demolished in 1539 and in the 1560s the Prior’s House was bought by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester who converted the building into a house, adding further murals on the upper floors. In the 1700s the estate was leased by John Whittingham and used as one of the leading garden nurseries of the age. The Charterhouse was gifted to the citizens of Coventry in the Second World War by local benefactor Colonel Wyley.

Following a successful campaign by the local community to prevent sale of the site, the Charterhouse Coventry Preservation Trust (now Historic Coventry Trust) was formed in 2011. The National Lottery Heritage Fund awarded a grant of £4.3M in 2018 and in autumn 2019 work started on site to repair and re-open the Charterhouse as a visitor attraction.

If you'd like to join this dynamic, young charity take a look at the role profiles and apply now! The closing date is Sunday 26 January 2020.