The Swallows & Amazons return
Experience the magic of Ransome's 'imaginary' lake aboard Steam Yacht Gondola, arguably the real Captain Flint's houseboat.
Ransome's fictional lake
Arthur Ransome's 'great lake in the north' was not based on a single location, but he did assure his readers that ‘all the places in the books are to be found, but not arranged quite as the ordnance maps’.
Take a cruise around Coniston Water on Steam Yacht Gondola looking out for some of the real places which inspired Arthur Ransome to write his world famous story.
- Spot the secret harbour at 'Wild Cat Island' on a full lake cruise.
- Discover 'Octopus Lagoon', the entrance to the River Crake at southern tip of lake.
- Pass by the 'Swallows' and 'Amazons' boathouses.
- Marvel at the mighty mountain that inspired 'Kanchenjunga'.
- See 'Holly Howe', in reality Bank Ground Farm on the eastern shore.
See the new film locations
See some of the film locations used in the new Swallows & Amazons film (released 19th Aug 2016) on our full lake cruise:
- 'Houseboat Bay', the mooring point for Captain Flint's houseboat was filmed at Low Peel Near.
- 'Island Camp' was shot amongst the trees above Low Peel Near.
- 'Secret Harbour' was filmed at High Peel Near.
All of these locations are on the shoreline just across from Peel Island, the inspiration for 'Wild Cat Island' in the book.
Whilst you're here
Make the most of your time on Coniston Water:
- Ask the crew if you can be a pesky pirate and take on Captain Jacko’s Challenge – an on board fun activity trail.
- Paddle, picnic or explore the lakeshore and woodland trails from Gondola’s jetties (we recommend the Parkamoor trail).
- Walk up to Boon Crag Farm near Monk Coniston - the farmhouse was the location of Holly Howe Farm in the new film.
- Visit the Ruskin Museum in Coniston and see the sailing dinghy Mavis, the inspiration for the fictional Amazon.